Experiencing slow performance on my iMac post Sonoma 14.4.1 update

This week, I did the Sonoma 14.4.1 update and it's like it disconnected all of the RAM in my system - everything is painfully slow to open. Zoom has latency now that looks like I'm calling from the surface of the Moon. Notepad won't track to my keystrokes anymore - there is an annoying delay to everything I'm doing. Not sure it's worth wiping the system software back to Catalina (2020 when I got the IMac) but I'm thinking about doing that. I can't use this machine for work -- it's maddening. Any thoughts about this HORRIBLE system update?

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 4, 2024 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2024 10:49 AM

Just an update ... after trying everything, I ended up buying a 5TB backup drive, taking a backup, wiping the drive, and fresh installing Sonoma 14.4.1. There must have been something in cache somewhere causing havoc. Anyways, fresh install, and restore of files, and all is well. I love Mac but in times of trouble one is truly alone on that bridge ...

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2024 10:49 AM in response to DogMom720

Just an update ... after trying everything, I ended up buying a 5TB backup drive, taking a backup, wiping the drive, and fresh installing Sonoma 14.4.1. There must have been something in cache somewhere causing havoc. Anyways, fresh install, and restore of files, and all is well. I love Mac but in times of trouble one is truly alone on that bridge ...

Apr 6, 2024 2:20 AM in response to William Scott Robertson

Part 1 of 2

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS,  is an invitation for disaster. 

Certain Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store - this only means the Developer is prepared to pay Apple a percentage on each sale. 

What the Application may do to the computer is up to the User to check this out before purchase

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

Disk Cleaner 

This will include CleanMyMac , aka “ BrickMyMac

Part 2 of 2

Specific to CleanMyMac aka “ BrickMyMac

To put the CleanMyMac in context and the damages it may have or has already done.

This application can or will Muck Up your User Account ( Home Folder ) of this machine.

It does not touch the Operating System itself unless you consider your User Account ( Home Folder ) as part of the Operating System

Then in that specific context - it has Mucked Up the Operating  System 

The steps in #1 below is predicated on the Offending  Application has been Removed as per the Developers Specific Instruction 

# 1 Some Contributors suggest restarting in Recovery Mode and choosing to Reinstall the Operating System over the existing installation. 

This may or may not replace elements of the Entire Operating System including the Home Folder ( User Account )  and replace any corrupted or removed elements and make things right.

#2 - Then there are Other Contributors ( like myself ) would suggest  from this link Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon.

For Intel computer >> Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac followed by How to reinstall macOS

Thereafter to start from scratch and install all Required Application directly from the Apple Apps Store or Directly from the Developer.

If going this route - I suggest Not using Startup Assist to migrate things back as this will probably Re-Introduce the existing  issue that existed when the TM Backup was made 

Apr 4, 2024 5:33 PM in response to William Scott Robertson

William, I am having the same issues. I've been working on this since Sonoma came out. I have sent numerous FeedBack Reports to Apple.

I ran EtreCheck as tbirdvet suggested and in the first go around it reported unusually slow performance and that it is not normal. I am running it again with Full Disk Access and will post the results when done.

My iMac: Retina 5K, 27 inch, 2019, 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 Memory

Apr 17, 2024 2:07 PM in response to Sweet Sitar

Sweet Sitar wrote:

This is an Apple issue. My Mac has plenty of memory and is running fine on OS 14.4. The update to 14.4.1 hangs at 30mins forever. I encourage you to wait to update until 14.4.2. as Apple will have reprogrammed the update, or how it is handled by late model Macs. Currently I am on a 2022 MacBook Air 16GB Ram, 1TB HD and have this hang issue. After resters, stopping the download, restarting the Mac and the download etc... issue persists. No performance issue prior calling for an update at this time. So updating with all of the jumping through hoops and safe made to get a problem update seems like a useless endeavor. Let Apple programers figure this out.. Way too many people complaining online about this. It should be fixed soon. Cheers!

The use may consider this other question for a response to the above

MacOS 14.4.1 Update MAJOR issues - Can up… - Apple Community

Apr 12, 2024 4:39 PM in response to William Scott Robertson

thank you everyone who replied to my post. I obviously needed more coffee, or should have reviewed my post before submitting. I stated I have 3GB of hard drive free. LOL. I meant I have 3TB of hard drive free. Nit sure I can say the same for my brain, at least at that early hour. Anyway, another day of poor productivity. It actually hung up trying to move files to trash. I had to hold the power button down to get a reboot. Will work toward going back to Ventura this weekend.

May 9, 2024 2:53 AM in response to William Scott Robertson

Hello all,

Before doing anything drastic, check to see if your MACK has a fusion drive. These were used circa 2019, 2020.

I was experiencing the same issues that all of you have with the slowness of Sonoma. I did a lot of unnecessary installs and reinstall, etc. None of those helped at all. I finally came upon was a split fusion in my machine. If your machine has a fusion drive, let me know and I will find the articles to help fix the fusion.

Repairing fusion my machine was like lightning again Sonoma.

Apr 7, 2024 2:26 PM in response to William Scott Robertson

I am having crashes on Sonoma 14.4.1 macOS watchdog kernel panics every 20 mins to 1 hour. On April 2 I updated Adobe Acrobat, I then updated my macbook pro (below) to 14.4.1 on Tuesday. I have had continuous kernel panics all week despite everything I've done to debug this until today. Looking through the update logs, I noticed on Apr 2 I installed Adobe Acrobat update. That's when all of this started happening. Looking through sys, panic, and crash logs, I noticed a couple things and turned off certain services to see if I could figure out which service was causing the kernel_panic. I saw references to panic for DYLD and I also found BAD MAGIC! errors in the Backtrace. Poking around I found more reference to DYL..D in the EtreCheckPro as part of creative services in the log.

So I stopped these services:

Adobe Content Synchronizer Finder Extension (491)

Creative Cloud Interprocess Service (647)

Creative Cloud Libraries Synchronizer (777)

I have plugged back in all my devices, displays, screens, etc. I haven't had a single kernel panic for 2 hours now. I am not sure what this means other than maybe the Adobe Acro update, and the latest Creative Cloud updates have issues with 14.4.1.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1

Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 16 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 32 GB

System Firmware Version: 2022.100.22.0.0 (iBridge: 21.16.4222.0.0,0)

OS Loader Version: 580~1678

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

2TB Physical Drive:

Device Name: APPLE SSD AP2048N

Media Name: AppleAPFSMedia

Medium Type: SSD

Protocol: PCI-Express

Internal: Yes

Partition Map Type: Unknown

S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified

Hope this helps some poor soul like me, who has pulled out their hair and lost countless work hours this week trying to figure it out.

-DM

Apr 16, 2024 5:07 PM in response to William Scott Robertson

This is an Apple issue. My Mac has plenty of memory and is running fine on OS 14.4. The update to 14.4.1 hangs at 30mins forever. I encourage you to wait to update until 14.4.2. as Apple will have reprogrammed the update, or how it is handled by late model Macs. Currently I am on a 2022 MacBook Air 16GB Ram, 1TB HD and have this hang issue. After resters, stopping the download, restarting the Mac and the download etc... issue persists. No performance issue prior calling for an update at this time. So updating with all of the jumping through hoops and safe made to get a problem update seems like a useless endeavor. Let Apple programers figure this out.. Way too many people complaining online about this. It should be fixed soon. Cheers!

Apr 7, 2024 2:49 PM in response to DogMom720

Etrecheckpro diag log:

Software Installs (past 60 days):

Install Date Name (Version)

2024-04-02 XProtectPayloads (130)

2024-04-02 Adobe Acrobat (24.001.20643) (24.001.20643)

2024-04-05 macOS Sonoma (14.3)

2024-04-05 macOS 14.4.1 (14.4.1) ---Kernel panics started here

2024-04-06 MRTConfigData (1.93)

Diagnostics Information (past 60 days):

2024-04-07 18:57:11 /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ProxiedDevice-Bridge/eligibilityd-2024-04-06-001159.ips - Crash (624 times)

First occurrence: 2024-04-06 00:11:59

2024-04-07 18:36:50 /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ProxiedDevice-Bridge/corespeechd-2024-04-03-202009.ips - Crash (106 times)

First occurrence: 2024-04-03 20:20:09

2024-04-07 18:34:20 Kernel Panic (54 times) ---WOWWWWWW

First occurrence: 2024-04-05 20:25:12 --- started same day I installed 14.4.1

Details:

panic(cpu 1 caller 0xfffffff01853c1b4): macOS watchdog detected

Panicked task 0xffffffdef366eb50: 0 pages, 233 threads: pid 0: kernel_

task

2024-04-06 18:59:12 spotlightknowledged - High CPU Use (12 times)

First occurrence: 2024-04-06 15:57:52

Executable: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreSpotlight.framework/spotlightknowledged

2024-04-05 23:46:35 Kernel Panic (2 times)

Details:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xfffffff00b8ba70c): ANS2 Recoverable Panic - asser

t failed: [7442]:cmd fetch error for host 1 I\/O SQ, rresp code 2, sta

tus_reg: 0x2100 - Cmd(11)

Panicked task 0xffffffe2a06a12b0: 0 pages, 233 threads: pid 0: kernel_

task

2024-04-04 18:16:13 /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ProxiedDevice-Bridge/tracbridged-2024-04-04-181613.ips - Crash (2 times)

2024-04-04 12:19:11 Terminal.app - High CPU Use

First occurrence: 2024-04-04 12:21:11

Executable: /System/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

2024-04-01 20:34:58 signpost_reporter - High CPU Use

First occurrence: 2024-04-01 20:36:51

Executable: /usr/libexec/signpost_reporter

Apr 8, 2024 8:13 PM in response to Gary Davison

I have been working on this for over a week and still slow BUT I discovered something today. When I unplugged all of my accessories -- docks, external monitor cables and external drives,etc and only have the mouse and keyboard plugged in-the system is SCREAMING fast again. So that dock recognition bug from the first Sonoma got fixed but for some Macs it seems your accessories and devices could be causing the slowdown. So I have everything unplugged now and it's fast as the day I bought it again. Not a great solution, but it will do until Apple releases Sonoma 15. Good luck out there.

Experiencing slow performance on my iMac post Sonoma 14.4.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.