Logic Pro & Folder/File Structure

new to Mac and can't seem to figure out how folder structures work? I recently recorded some tracks on Logic Pro and wanted to simply copy a file to my iCloud from the Logic folder. Instead I ended up moving the file realizing it wasn't a copy. Regardless trying to get it back into my Logic folder and can't seem to figure out how? I tried to move it into the Shared folder thinking that could be a work around getting it back into Logic. I tried to place into the Shared folder (not successful), and don't understand the functionality of Shared folder? Generally, I am extremely confused on file structure setup on Mac and can't seem to break the windows habit? Any help is appreciated...

Posted on Apr 12, 2024 3:58 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 13, 2024 7:46 AM in response to zchopper62

There is an iCloud folder, but it isn't always visible.

Go to your finder. At the top menu, click on Finder>preferences/Settings..... (or use the keyboard shortcut: type command-,) meaning hold down the command key and press the comma key.

This brings up the Preference/Settings window (depending on which version of MacOS you are using it will either say Preferences or Settings.) Click on Sidebar on the top. Make sure iCloud drive is checked. See pic. You might want to also make sure some of your most used folders are visible on the sidebar. Mainly: Applications, Desktop, Documents, Downloads Music and your Home Folder. Also if you have external drives hooked up you should check that as well.

Close the window.

Now open a finder window and you should see your iCloud drive on the sidebar. Click on that and you should see a Logic folder. Open it up and you should have your project.

Most likely your Logic folder is located within the Music folder. Here is an easy way to get there.

While your iCloud>Logic folder is open, Command Click on the music folder on the sidebar. This will open up a new tab in your window. You should see your Logic folder. Double click to open and hopefully you'll see your Logic projects. The tab for your iCloud>Logic folder should still be visible. Click on that. Click and grab your iCloud project and drag it to your Music>Logic tab and let it go. It will now move the project to your Logic folder.

I don't have any Logic projects in iCloud, but discovered a Garage Band project from iOS. This is what it should look like.

Also, to help you navigate, I recommend you turn on some things in the View menu of the Finder.

You should make sure Sidebar and Tabs are turned on. And I also recommend Path bar and Status bar being turned on. This will bring up information at the bottom of each finder window. The path bar will show where you are in the finder. You can even click on upper location and it will take you straight there. The info bar, tells you HD space and information about how many files are in a folder.

Lastly, the shared folder is used if you have another person that logs in with a different account on your computer. Typically they won't have access to your files, unless you place something there. Also this area if often used by third party music plug-ins so if you create another account you should still be able to use Logic and the plugins.

Hope this helps you

Logic Pro & Folder/File Structure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.