FCPX keeps crashing, When used with media containing Dropped Frames

Hello,

I have noticed in last few months that all major camers brands are pushing camers to limits with various codec/bitrate whcih sometime results in dropped frames.

whenever I encounter dropped frames, I delete those frames and choose some B- Roll footage or 2nd Cam footage, but everytimes I tried to export the project, FCPX keeps crashing.

when same footage is used in other sofrwares like Pr Or DaVinci

• Pr usually give a glitch in some portain of frame but still renders
  • DaVinci gives also give a green screen glitch but still renders
  • FCPX shows the complete frame as black frame and even if one removes the frames, very very diffucult to rendor the file and does a restart.

Machin - M1 Pro max 32 GB 2021

FCPX - Latest version

Mac OS - Sonoma 14.4.1

No plugins putup on media.

This is the bug report.

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Apr 16, 2024 8:57 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

Apr 17, 2024 4:55 AM in response to robinsainiphotography

Dropped frames had a specific meaning for playback. Are you talking about visually corrupted frames in the original recording?

Whenever the application crashes you should trash the settings. Hold ⌥ ⌘ as you double click the library you want to open to launch the application. A dialog appears asking you if you want to Delete Preferences. If you don't do this while double-clicking your library, just opening the application, it will open a default Untitled  library.  

Please post an EtreCheck report https://etrecheck.com giving the application Full Disk Access in Privacy & Security System Settings. Copy the report and use the Add Text button to paste the result into reply box. 

Apr 17, 2024 6:55 AM in response to robinsainiphotography

This isn't simply "dropped frames." The camera file is structurally damaged. When processing damaged files, the behavior of any app will be unpredictable. It's a serious issue and must be addressed at the source.

My team has five A7SIIIs. So far, we've never seen this, but I am concerned about damaged data getting into our system. I have a background in software development. If you could provide me some example files containing these issues, I will try to write a simple app or script to find those. I also might be able to write a utility to excise the damaged frames, but I'm not sure.

Tom, could you please give advice about the best way to interchange files for this case?

Apr 19, 2024 1:02 AM in response to robinsainiphotography

Hi,

For those who wish to see nature of error, please downlaod below files from one of my shoot where I am explaning my assistant my new fav camera bag.

when you download these files, you will notice that on playing on VLC player or Quicktime that Video at certain point of time just pause or freeze, when you open then video in a editing software, different software renders videos differently

- FCPX gives a black frames

- Premier Pro gives Glitch

- Da Vinchi gives a Glitch or Green screen

https://www.playbook.com/s/robinsainiphotography/aRzu6rQbpK48aJh4ts2cnMFD

Sometimes glitch comes in all 3 camera at the very same time and either we have use a Broll on footage or put the glitchy footage in the shot as I did in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxjRECnBv5A

Apr 19, 2024 10:36 AM in response to robinsainiphotography

OK I've spent a long time studying your camera files. In each case, the problem is caused by a damaged camera file. This will produce unpredictable behavior during playback. That behavior can vary from one machine to another and from one NLE to another.

E.g, on my M1 Ultra Mac Studio running FCP 10.7.1 on Sonoma 14.4.1, I could see the dropped frames but it would never crash. On Resolve Studio 18.6.6 it would sometimes hang. If I turned off decode acceleration in Resolve, they would play, but the problem would show up as a jump or jerk during playback.

My team has five A7SIII cameras, two FX6s and two RED cameras, but we rarely shoot high-frame-rate material on the A7SIIIs. On various forums I've seen periodic complaints about some SDXC UHS-II / V90 / U3 / Class 10 cards not working reliably in that camera at high frame rates.

I just tested 4k/120 10-bit 4:2:2 XAVC-S in one of my A7SIIIs, using a ProGrade 256GB SDXC UHS-II V90 U3 Class 10 card, and it worked OK. This camera is on firmware 2.10.

There is nothing that can be fixed in FCP to avoid this. The problem must be prevented at the source. The Lexar card you mentioned should work, but there have been some reports of counterfeit Lexar cards. In fact Amazon has a web page with tips on identifying them.

The test command I wrote is below. You would first need to install a static binary of ffmpeg. You can find that if you Google (in quotes): "ffmpeg static build for macOS". It should be placed in your search path. In the below command enter your pathname and filename. It will print the bad frames and an error for each one.

ffmpeg -v debug -report -err_detect ignore_err -i /Users/josephmarler/Movies/A7S3_120fps/JDM0977.MP4  -f null - 2>&1 | awk '/frame=/ {frame=$2} /error|warning|fail/ {print "Frame:", frame, $0}'

FCPX keeps crashing, When used with media containing Dropped Frames

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.