System preferences won't click

Fairly regularly, when I'm navigating different sections of System Preferences, I encounter an issue where I'm unable to click on anything within the System Preferences window. To resolve this, I click somewhere on the Finder or another open app, then return to System Preferences, and I'm able to click on things as normal. Similarly, about 1 out of every 5 times I attempt to save a new or edited file in apps like Pages, Keynote, or Numbers, I face the same issue. This problem initially occurred on my old MacBook Pro 2019 and has persisted on my new MacBook Air 2024 for several months.

MacBook Air (M3, 2024)

Posted on Apr 16, 2024 10:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 3:32 AM

The fact that this happens on two different macs clearly suggests a software issue. I assume that you migrated everything from one mac to the other - including whatever software might be causing the problem.

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Also: to further narrow it down, test to see if the problem also occurs or does not occur:

a) when in Safe Mode

b) when booted normally, and logged in to a new user account

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2024 3:32 AM in response to b42swe42

The fact that this happens on two different macs clearly suggests a software issue. I assume that you migrated everything from one mac to the other - including whatever software might be causing the problem.

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Also: to further narrow it down, test to see if the problem also occurs or does not occur:

a) when in Safe Mode

b) when booted normally, and logged in to a new user account

Apr 21, 2024 2:06 AM in response to b42swe42

b42swe42 wrote:

Thanks for your reply, Yes I see what you mean since it has been happening on both devices. I rebooted in safe mode and created a new user account and I did not encounter the problem happening in either case. So I think it's been narrowed down to something connected with my user account. I ran the Etrecheck and this is what it has said:
<Etrecheck.log>

With the computer in this Compromised State caused by the software others have already pointed out.

One can spend days or weeks attempting to get ALL the Bits and Pieces of these software Off the computer and still not everything removed

To expedite going the computer back to a functioning state as quickly as possible

There is another option available.

Much like iOS when you want to revert the iDevice to Factory Setting and thereby removing ALL Third Party Apps

Below will Remove your User Account and ALL that is in your Home Folder

It Does not change or remove the Version of Sonoma presented installed on the computer

Thereafter - start from scratch and install all Required Application directly from the Apple Apps Store or Directly from the Developer.

If going this route - I suggest Not using Startup Assist to migrate things back as this will probably Re-Introduce the existing  issue that existed when the TM Backup was made 

How to erase all content and settings

1. Do one of the following:
    • On your Mac running macOS 13 or later: Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click General , click Transfer or Reset, then click Erase All Content and Settings.
    • On your Mac running macOS 12 or earlier: Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then in the menu bar, choose System Preferences > Erase All Content and Settings.
  1. In Erase Assistant, enter your administrator information (the password you use to log in to your Mac).
  2. Review items that will be removed in addition to your content and settings.
  3. On your Mac running multiple user accounts, click the arrow next to your account name to review the items.
  4. Click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.

May 12, 2024 12:18 AM in response to b42swe42

This is a weird phenomenon and I don’t think it have seen it anywhere else. It seems to be something particular to your system… I can’t see how signing in to iCloud is causing it. If you temporarily sign off from iCloud, does the problem go away? I am thinking that maybe something else you may have installed around the same time could be the cause, instead of iCloud.

Apr 20, 2024 8:09 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for your reply, Yes I see what you mean since it has been happening on both devices. I rebooted in safe mode and created a new user account and I did not encounter the problem happening in either case. So I think it's been narrowed down to something connected with my user account. I ran the Etrecheck and this is what it has said:

Apr 20, 2024 10:05 PM in response to b42swe42

Oh my:

Antivirus software: Apple, Avira, and Avast

Security Risk! - Adobe Flash Player installed!

So uninstall Avira and Avast (and Adobe Flash Player).

But I really can't blame you for installing them when there are reviews like this:

https://www.macworld.com/article/668850/best-mac-antivirus-software.html

3rd party virus apps (Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, Intego, MacAfee, Norton, ESET NOD32, Trusteer etc) and 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" apps (CleanMyMac, MacKeeper etc). They produce only obscure errors and money loss.

Don't use VPN services unless you're using it to tunnel into a secure private network such as your employer or school. It's doing absolutely nothing to protect your privacy or secure your data traffic. Exactly the opposite, in fact.

Apr 26, 2024 7:11 PM in response to PRP_53

ok thank you, that was the original plan when I first bought the new computer but after I read multiple reviews saying the migrating assistance would only take the "essential" files and that it had built in virus protection steps I thought I would give it a chance. oh well, it may take longer but i really want this to be a clean start. I'm curious, can I transfer my Keychain passwords over to my new computer with an external hard drive without causing any unsafe files to come with it?

Apr 27, 2024 1:02 AM in response to b42swe42

b42swe42 wrote:

ok thank you, that was the original plan when I first bought the new computer but after I read multiple reviews saying the migrating assistance would only take the "essential" files and that it had built in virus protection steps I thought I would give it a chance. oh well, it may take longer but i really want this to be a clean start. I'm curious, can I transfer my Keychain passwords over to my new computer with an external hard drive without causing any unsafe files to come with it?

Clean Start ?

Follow the good advise from @Luis Sequeira1 in above posting.

May 11, 2024 6:39 PM in response to b42swe42

Still happening after system overhaul. I cleared everything, started with factory settings, fresh installed all apps. It was working fine until I signed into my iCloud account. It’s not a major problem just annoying, if I can’t press on anything inside the system window I just click somewhere on the finder or another open window and come back and the system window is functioning normally. I’m wondering if anyone else is having issues with iCloud accounts doing this and if it’s something Apple can fix with a software update.

System preferences won't click

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.