Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Should my purchased 4K movies play in 4K on the app on Windows 11 PC?

I have a Windows 11 PC with an intel 11th gen Processor. In the Apple TV app my purchased movies that are 4K only show as HD when playing. Are there restrictions which prevent 4K on Windows? I am connected to 4K TV via HDMI.

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 1:19 PM

4 replies

Apr 27, 2024 3:59 AM in response to Ronind

If your screen or monitor resolution is less than 3840×2160 in either dimension, then the Apple TV app will use the 1080p stream at best.

If you use the web interface [1], then that will use the 1080p stream at best.

Both these limitations apply to any platform.

I am connected to 4K TV via HDMI

Depending on the HDMI ports (computer and TV), optional adapters, and cables, HDMI itself might be a limiting factor: Commercial 4K content requires HDMI 2.0 or later with HDCP 2.2 or later. The HDMI port on the 4K TV may need configuration for high bandwidth use. HDMI 2.0 or later ports would benefit from HDMI cables rated for 18 Gbps or more.

Apple has not publicly stated if the Apple TV app on Windows is a limiting factor for resolution.

Apple TV app user guide for Windows - Apple Support

Apr 27, 2024 8:06 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for the response. The PC is connected to my LG C1 TV. The is HDMI 2.0b going to the HDMI 2.1 port on the TV. Full bandwidth is enabled.

All other apps play in 4K and the Apple TV Plus content is 4K but purchases are HD. I was thinking it looks like purchases are limited.

it’s a shame because I am trying to get one device that does meets all my requirements, but as all these companies don’t work well together, every device has something missing, a mini PC was my best hope. The Apple TV is almost there but doesn’t have Nvidia GeForce Now app. If either the PC can do 4K at some time or the GeForce Now App appears on the Apple TV 4K I would be happy as can be 😂. I do have both devices but not enough HDMI Ports 😂.

Should my purchased 4K movies play in 4K on the app on Windows 11 PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.