Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Why, if I save of a photo from a text doc, it ends up in a folder that doesn't exist called 'Gallery'

Whenever I try to "save graphics" of a photo from a text doc, it defaults saving it in a folder I cannot find anywhere on my computer. Even the name of these images don't show up in a search. Where is this mysterious "Gallery"? and how can I stop images from being saved there by default? (It's a hassle to keep redirecting the save to the desktop)

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2024 2:07 AM

You need to work on your assumptions :)

It's got nothing to do with trust. It's your computer, and as you have just demonstrated, you're free to go anywhere you like on it. Knowledgeable users - and it doesn't require very much knowledge at all - can access the Library folder at will. However, the advantage to hiding the Library folder is that it is protected from the less knowledgeable user who might do damage or inadvertently cause dataloss. It's a bit like the hood of a car. Car guys open it and do whatever they do, and maybe fix or tweak a few things there. Guys like me never open it as I know there's nothing there for me. The danger is the guy who opens it and starts rearranging cables because the colours look nicer that way, and then can't understand why the car won't start. And that generates support calls, and those are a cost to the makers. So, like wrapping the photo library in a package file, you're not doing anything to inhibit the knowledgeable user, but you are reducing the number of support calls, and so suppressing the cost base. And maybe even helping prevent dataloss for the less knowledgeable user.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2024 2:07 AM in response to kidquotes

You need to work on your assumptions :)

It's got nothing to do with trust. It's your computer, and as you have just demonstrated, you're free to go anywhere you like on it. Knowledgeable users - and it doesn't require very much knowledge at all - can access the Library folder at will. However, the advantage to hiding the Library folder is that it is protected from the less knowledgeable user who might do damage or inadvertently cause dataloss. It's a bit like the hood of a car. Car guys open it and do whatever they do, and maybe fix or tweak a few things there. Guys like me never open it as I know there's nothing there for me. The danger is the guy who opens it and starts rearranging cables because the colours look nicer that way, and then can't understand why the car won't start. And that generates support calls, and those are a cost to the makers. So, like wrapping the photo library in a package file, you're not doing anything to inhibit the knowledgeable user, but you are reducing the number of support calls, and so suppressing the cost base. And maybe even helping prevent dataloss for the less knowledgeable user.

Apr 25, 2024 10:40 AM in response to kidquotes

It's interesting that you're asking this on an Apple forum rather than a Microsoft forum-- it's Microsoft who made this folder and knows where it is. I don't have a Gallery folder from Microsoft, but I have several Gallery folders, and they don't come up in Finder because they are meant to remain hidden. Here's one of them

from SMART Technologies--I found it using an alternative file finder, and you can see that the folder is located in Application Support in the User's Library. Microsoft has Application Support folders, too, but I didn't find a Gallery folder there. It may depend on the versions of Office we're using.

There also appear to be Gallery folders in Applications/Microsoft Office/Office/Media etc, etc.

But when you're asked to save the graphic, why not click on the button

that gives you the option of using different folders? It will show the

inclosing folders for the Folder choice, and you can navigate to other folders of your as you wish.

And once you see the inclosing folders in that mysterious Gallery folder, you should be able to go there and get your graphic files and put them where you want them.

Apr 25, 2024 12:54 PM in response to Richard.Taylor

Richard, Thanks for trying to help me.

To answer your questions:

-I'm not sure what you mean "I'm asking about microsoft" because I'm using a mac computer and the mac openoffice (openoffice is opensource has nothing to do with microsoft). The original doc with images was sent to me as a docx file which I opened in openoffice.

- I don't have any microsoft applications anywhere in my applications folder. I just double checked. I also checked spotlight.

-Regarding the gallery button, all is greyed out - so I have go to the sidebar to select the desktop - but it's a hassle to do that every time...because I end up forgetting it will automatically go into the mysterious gallery folder. Then I have to a "save graphics" again.

Just so you know - I'm writing a newsletter as a non-profit volunteer, and people send me documents. I need to put the text and image in mailchimp - therefore I need to save the images separately since they don't cut-paste into mailchimp.

May 1, 2024 10:47 PM in response to Yer_Man

Yer_Man: You were right. I found a secret folder inside the LIBRARY-APPLICATION SUPPORT-OPEN OFFICE-USER-GALLERY. WHY the word "gallery" did not come up in any searches I did- baffles me. That's exactly why I keep "library'' in my sidebar - To find odd things to solve problems. But they are made invisible - for what reason? I can only assume mac users are not trusted to go in certain neighborhoods on our computer.

Why, if I save of a photo from a text doc, it ends up in a folder that doesn't exist called 'Gallery'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.