Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Automatic Color balance color: How exactly ?

Hello

Here's the experiment I made in FCPX:

a) Import a clip with Analyze>Balance Color checked and import a copy of it with BC unchecked: they appear similar in the browser, and similar too once exported in the timeline (as primary and connected and V-toggling the upper one for immediate comparison at the same frame).

b) Applying Automatic BC by any means (magic wand, right-click, etc.) modifies the appearance for both of same.

c) Comparing them with Automatic BC on shows, again, no difference if the BC is called at the same frame for both of us.

d) Calling BC at different frames gives different results for any of them, but, again, no difference when compared one with the other.

So: ????? My goal is to obtain the balance color on a clip as it is devised by FCPX on Import with Analyze>BC on, i.e with the best reference frame chosen by FCPX. How do you get that?? Because BC doesn't seem to be automatically applied (cf a)) in the browser and applying BC to the clip once put in the timeline applies it at the playhead's frame, which I don't want. And applying BC with the playhead outside of the clip choses the middle frame, which I don't want either.

Any enlightment please from any of you?...

Thank you very much.

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 12:47 PM

5 replies

Apr 28, 2024 4:22 PM in response to joelle184

If you want balancing handled on import, there is a preference setting:

If you would like to balance a clip before it is applied to any storyline, you can select the clip in the event browser and go to Clip > Open Clip. This will open it in its own timeline and any effects you apply to it in this state will always be used with the clip when adding it to a storyline (plus, you will not even *see* the effects you added to the clip in the storyline version — if you need to modify the effects, simply Open Clip from the storyline and adjust effects settings.)

Personally, I don't care much for the Balance Color tool in FCPX... I think it's a little on the "weak" side. Examples:

I used the White Balance option and selected the tarmac for the neutral color — and selected the same area in the custom example.

Another example for skin tones (custom balancer name obscured):

[the custom color balance effect has tools to modify the lighting and the "midpoint" of the range selection]

and for more severe examples:

both "samples" taken from the turntable platter.

Apr 28, 2024 2:22 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thank you for responding.

Though, from FCPX's guide:

"If the clip has been color-analyzed, either during import or while in the browser: The

analysis process extracts color balance information for the entire

clip. Whether you add a portion of the clip or the entire clip to a

project, the color-balancing feature chooses the frame within the

project clip that is closest to being correctly balanced. This means

that if you add multiple partial clips from the same browser clip to the

project, each clip is balanced based on analysis information for its

own section of media"

How is this to be inderstood then ?

Apr 28, 2024 2:41 PM in response to joelle184

I find the applied balance can be pretty random and that if you’re going to use that tool be aware of its limitations. One problem is that when you use different sections of a clip, let’s say a CU of a face, in the timeline you can get quite different results, which really isn’t what you want, when you really want the shots to be consistent. With balance it’s really better of you make your own selection. Also, the application has many other excellent tools for refining the color your clips rather than this one.

Automatic Color balance color: How exactly ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.