Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

What parameter is MIDI CC 7 (volume) controlling in Mainstage software instruments?

I'm pretty new to MainStage and MIDI control of software instruments in general, but starting to get my head around it. I have a keyboard controller (M-Audio Keystation 61) with a volume slider which sends MIDI CC 7, which is know is Volume as standard, and it is adjusting the volume of the instrument (a piano patch in Sampler), however I can't actually see what parameter is being controlled - there's no overall volume parameter and it's not adjusting the volume of the channel strip.

I can see that I can go to the concert level and block the received MIDI values from being transmitted on, which stops the volume being changed, so is it the case that MIDI CC 7 Volume is adjusting the velocity that's being received by the software instrument, or is there some other way/parameter that's controlling the volume?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 29, 2024 7:05 AM

2 replies

Apr 29, 2024 7:45 AM in response to piglet242122

To control the Master MainStage Volume, put a slider on the canvas in "Layout" Mode and set its input to your Keystation with CC set to 7 and "Type" set to "Absolute". This should make your physical slider move the one you've just placed on the canvas. Go to "Edit" mode at concert level. Select the slider on the canvas and map it to the Master Volume. That ought to do it.

What parameter is MIDI CC 7 (volume) controlling in Mainstage software instruments?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.