Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Finding and Downloading an older version of FCP X

I bought an iMac (Retina 4K 21.5 inch Late 2015) 3.3 GHz Quad Core Intel core i7 16GB 1867 MHzDDR3 with Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB in 2016 from the Apple store in Watford, England. I had it pre-loaded with FCP X. And paid for it.

Everything worked fine till about a month ago when FCP started working slowly and then freezing in every editing session, the Mac also froze occasionally when standing idle...Only resolved by constant rebooting.

In an attempt to settle the issue I got an OS upgrade to Monterey 12.7.4, but then found I could no longer access FCP X at all.The FCP icon appears in my purchased Apps but there is no option to download any version and the latest FCP package states I need OS 13.5 or later to access it.

I have been advised that my iMac is too old to get OS 13.5...is this correct ? And if so how can I get an older version so I can continue using, and more importantly, not lose all the project work etc I had on FCP before the OS upgrade...?

Thank you.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 3:28 AM

9 replies

Apr 30, 2024 3:32 AM in response to 1TOFFEE

Sadly you are right bro, here is some approach to it, that I hope you find useful

FCP X Options:

Downgrade macOS:

• This is likely your best option to regain access to FCP X. You can reinstall an older macOS version that your iMac supports and that FCP X is compatible with. However, there are some challenges:

• Data Backup: Crucially, create a full backup of your iMac's data before downgrading the OS. This ensures you don't lose any important files, including your FCP projects, during the process. Time Machine backups are a good option.

• Finding a Compatible macOS Version: Identify an older macOS version that your iMac (Late 2015) supports and that's also compatible with the version of FCP X you were using. Apple's support website should have information on compatible macOS versions for different FCP X versions (Final Cut Pro for Mac - Technical Specifications - Apple).

Consider FCP X Alternatives:

• If downgrading macOS isn't feasible, explore alternative video editing software compatible with your current macOS Monterey (12.7.4). Some options include:

• DaVinci Resolve (free version with limitations, paid version with advanced features)

• Hitfilm Express (free version with limitations, paid version with advanced features)

• iMovie (built-in app on your Mac, good for basic editing)

Data Recovery (if downgrading macOS):

• If you decide to downgrade macOS, remember that downgrading usually erases your data and applications. Ensure you have a complete backup before proceeding. After downgrading to a compatible macOS version, you can then restore your data from the backup, including your FCP projects.

Apr 30, 2024 4:14 AM in response to 1TOFFEE

I got an OS upgrade to Monterey 12.7.4
  1. Take a backup using Time Machine.
  2. Change the name of FCP in the application folder to 10.x.y. →Move the application icon to the trash. *Just hide it from your PC without deleting it.
  3. Log in to the AppStore with the Apple ID used at the time of purchase. →Click the ID at the bottom left.
  4. If FCP is marked with a cloud, you can download the version compatible with the current macOS.
  5. You can move the icon in the trash can back to the application folder or throw away the old version. Please decide for yourself.

--

We recommend submitting an *****report to accurately understand the status of your PC.

[Edited by Moderator]

Apr 30, 2024 4:35 AM in response to 1TOFFEE

Don’t worry, since you see FCP in your purchases the solution is easy.

Drag the existing FCP from the Applications folder to the tras; don’t empty it yet.

Go to the App Store and select your account to see your purchases.

Now FCP has a download icon. Click it. You will get a warning that the current version is not compatible, and be asked if you want the most recent for your OS.

Apr 30, 2024 4:50 AM in response to 1TOFFEE

You need to be signed into the App Store with the same Apple ID that was used to buy the application.

Accept preinstalled Pro Apps on your new Mac - Apple Support

when you purchased the Mac with the preinstalled application did you go through the accept process. If you still have the application on a backup restore it to the Applications folder and see if you can use the Accept process.

If you are signed in with the Apple ID used to buy it on your purchased page you should see the application with a cloud download button. That will offer you the last compatible version of your OS.

Finding and Downloading an older version of FCP X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.