Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Missing ZMASTERFINGERPRINT in Photos database

Some pictures recently imported into Mac Photos on Sonoma have NULL as the value for ZMASTERFINGERPRINT in the SQL database. Is there a way to force a valid ZMASTERFINGERPRINT to be created for those pictures?

Thanks.

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 7:25 AM

12 replies

Apr 30, 2024 2:15 PM in response to Old Toad

It is my belief that ZMASTERFINGERPRINT is a unique identifier calculated from the contents of the picture and that if the same picture file is imported twice each copy would have the same fingerprint. If that assumption is correct it will help me cull duplicate pictures from my collection - if all pictures have a fingerprint. If that isn't true then it probably doesn't matter.

If the fingerprint works as I believe then it may explain why Photos doesn't always recognize exact duplicates. This may occur in the event two copies of the same photo have been imported, as may happen for several reasons including accidentally loading a set of photos that already existed in the library or merging two libraries.

I would like to reiterate that I'm not doing anything to the database other than running an SQL query to generate a spreadsheet of info about the pictures that I use as an external catalog to my collection.

May 1, 2024 12:36 PM in response to Keith Barkley

For anyone following this thread:

I've run a simple test, as follows

Imported a small sample (78) of original photos into a new empty Photos library created in the current Sonoma version of Mac Photos - all of the imported photos & videos imported with ZMASTERFINGERPRINT = NULL

Copied same sample to older computer running Mojave and hence an older version of Photos. Imported the sample into an new empty Photos library - all photos & videos imported with valid ZMASTERFINGERPRINT values

Copied the Mojave Photos library to the Sonoma machine and opened it in Photos - all photos/videos retained their ZMASTERFINGERPRINT values

Repaired the library from step 3 (originated in Mojave copied & opened in Sonoma) - all photos/videos had their ZMASTERFINGERPRINT reset to NULL

My conclusion is that there is a problem with the Sonoma version of Photos regarding ZMASTERFINGERPRINT and possibly other elements of the database.

How do I report this to Apple?

Missing ZMASTERFINGERPRINT in Photos database

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.