Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

FCPX Recent Projects are Never Remembered

After moving to my new computer and installing Final Cut Pro, the File/Open Library menu never has any "recent" libraries and the same happens with this popup window whenever I try to import an XML file. At first it was a small annoyance, but now I feel like having to click LOCATE every time to choose a recent library is one of those things that seem to buildup and take more and more time.

I have tried to run first aid with the Disk Utility in case in had something to do with disk permissions. In the privacy settings I've given FCPX Full Disk Access. My projects are stored locally, not on external drives. I just went ahead and uninstalled FCPX (removing any leftover files) and reinstalled and the problem continues. I just have no idea what else can I try to fix this.

Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 12:00 PM

8 replies

Apr 30, 2024 12:26 PM in response to rob.ert

Try resetting FCP preferences. Hold Option and Command while launching FCP and choose Delete Preferences. It will open the default Untitled library. Re-open the library you were working on, set the Preferences back to the way you like them (disable background rendering, reset Import to Leave Files in Place, etc.) and see if the issue has been resolved.

Apr 30, 2024 2:30 PM in response to rob.ert

When you did a fresh FCPX install, you wiped out preferences, so those Recents were forgotten. Over time Recents will build back up.

If you've opened several Libraries already, that should be on connected and properly functioning drives, then yes, something is wrong, you should have recents showing up the minute to start opening Libraries, as they get opened and remembered as Recents.

May 1, 2024 5:29 AM in response to terryb

I've just double checked and yes, FCP is enabled in the Full Disk Access Pane.

I just went ahead and checked a few other apps with mixed results. Photoshop, Visual Studio Code, Screen Studio, do remember recent documents, while PDF Expert or IINA have an empty "Open recent" menu (even after opening several documents). I do think that what matters the most for me out of all is FCPx because I use it for work everyday, I just hope it's not an issue with the entire system (that'd be super unlucky, having just bought this M3 Pro)

May 1, 2024 3:30 PM in response to rob.ert

Did you migrate your data from your old Mac to the new M3 Pro? If you did and migrated everything, including Applications and System Files, it's possible this is causing the issue because some older, incompatible software came along for the ride. The recommendation when moving to a new machine is to migrate *only* the user data, no Applications, no System files, nothing else. Then download fresh copies of your Apps from the App Store or 3rd party developer. It's more work but can make sure your Mac is running at its tip top performance. Especially if you went from an Intel machine to an M class.

If you think this might be the case, it's much easier to start over on the newer Macs. Here's a guide from Luis, long-time contributor and FCP sage:

Reinstall for Apple silicon Macs:

1) BACKUP - preferably two of them, as you are going to erase your content from the main drive

2) System Settings->General->Transfer or Reset, click Erase All Contents and Settings...

3) When your system restarts like if for the first time, and you are asked, choose to migrate "from another mac, drive or Time Machine backup" AND CRUCIALLY: check ONLY the user accounts

4) Yes it will take some time to reinstall stuff, but it's totally worth it. You will finally see how your new Mac is supposed to perform

May 1, 2024 6:30 PM in response to terryb

I moved up from an M1 to an M3 Pro. And I did a clean install (installed app by app, spending time with every setting) precisely to avoid this kind of problems. Oh man, it sounds like a lot of work but I guess it may be the only solution. I'll see how long I can stand this and do it at that point. Honestly I don't see any other issue, it's just this little thing.

I appreciate your time on helping out.

May 1, 2024 7:04 PM in response to rob.ert

Darn, I was hoping you'd say you migrated everything from an Intel Mac.

Create a new admin user, login as that user and create a few simple libraries with FCP. Are Recents still missing?

Either way, post an https://etrecheck.com report here using the Additional text button below in your reply. Maybe there's something that will jump out to the hive mind here.

FCPX Recent Projects are Never Remembered

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.