Guitar sound gets latency out of nowhere

Hello, I have an issue when I'm playing guitar with Logic pro and Scarlett 2i2.

So, I play/practice guitar with Logic pro. And you know, when you play a note on a guitar, and the note comes out from speaker like a second later? That's called latency, right?

So, I would get that latency out of nowhere. Like things would be fine and I'm just practicing guitar, but then I close my Macbook, and go for a break, come back 10 mins later, open up the laptop, and now there is latency. Solving it is not a problem because I just re-choose the Input Device from Settings, then it's back to normal.

So, I guess it's just a minor issue if it can be solved like that, but it could be better if I can just stop it altogether you know.

It's not that it only happens when I close and reopen my Macbook. Other times, when I'm playing guitar over some backing track on Youtube, out of nowhere, that latency shows, and I have to do that thing again (re-choosing the Input Device). One day, I was playing guitar over this backing track on Youtube, this latency would happen like 5 times during 40 minute session.

So, I kinda hope I can find what's causing this, and hope to fix it.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 6:03 PM

4 replies

May 1, 2024 3:04 AM in response to sngwn

So, I play/practice guitar with Logic pro. And you know, when you play a note on a guitar, and the note comes out from speaker like a second later? That's called latency, right?

Yes, this is latency.

So, I would get that latency out of nowhere. Like things would be fine and I'm just practicing guitar, but then I close my Macbook, and go for a break, come back 10 mins later, open up the laptop, and now there is latency. Solving it is not a problem because I just re-choose the Input Device from Settings, then it's back to normal.

I never close my computer's lid or never switch my computer to sleep mode when using external audio devices. Either I use my computer or I switch it off. And if my computer accidentally goes to sleep, I restart it.

It's not that it only happens when I close and reopen my Macbook. Other times, when I'm playing guitar over some backing track on Youtube, out of nowhere, that latency shows, and I have to do that thing again (re-choosing the Input Device). One day, I was playing guitar over this backing track on Youtube, this latency would happen like 5 times during 40 minute session.

This is strange, since this seems to happen while the computer is in use. And I have no idea what is causing it. I would check if the system audio, Logic's and Focusrite's Sample Rate are matching. Are there other applications or processes active?

What computer model, Logic version, MacOS are you using? What is your I/O buffer size?

May 1, 2024 11:02 AM in response to sngwn

Hi, When you close the lid on a MacBook, the Mac goes to sleep, unless you have an external monitor that stays active when the lid is closed. So this might have something to do with what is going on. But one thing to know is that the MacBook is still sending power to your A-interface even when it is sleeping. So I'm not really sure why you have your issues.

How are you connecting your audio interface to your mac? Are you plugging it in directly or are you using a hub? If you are using a hub, make sure it is powered. Meaning it has a power adapter attached to it so it provides enough power to your interface. Also, instead of re-choosing the input device, you can try changing the buffer to 512 and back to 256 and see if that solves it.

Also, there are two sides to leaving things turned on, or awake all the time. I know some prefer it that way, but keep in mind every hour that an electrical device is used is another hour sooner that it is going to fail. Even if I put my macbook to sleep, the external ssd stays warm. So I often shut things down at night to give everything a rest. I have a probably 12 year old Focusrite that still works great. It doesn't have a power switch so I bought a powered hub that has switches for each USB port to turn things off. Why have this and my keyboard lighted up all night when not in use. Here's a link for what I use to power them down.

Hope this helps you out.

amazon.com/gp/product/B083XTKV8V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May 1, 2024 5:13 PM in response to morozco

Hello, thank you for your answer.

That's interesting. But I'm not sure if it's the power issue for my interface, because sometimes the latency shows in the middle of practice session while I'm literally playing the guitar. It's really random when it happens.

Also, is there a benefit to changing buffer rather than changing the input device? To me, they take the same amount of mouse clicking, so I could just go either way haha.

Guitar sound gets latency out of nowhere

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.