Photo App: Video Files Massively Compressed / Original Import Export iCloud Does Not Work

I film video on my iPhone15 pro at 4K

Today, I download my videos (filmed as per iPhone default in .mov files) from the iCloud in FULL RESOLUTION onto my Macbook Pro Sonoma 14.4.1.

What i got were compressed .mp4 files!

How is this even possible???

PS.: I am an experienced video maker and have worked with iPhone to iCloud files and back for years. I am in shock about what is going on right now.

• iCloud got revamped (May 1 2024)
  • it behaves in a new way
  • Importing and exporting original unaltered files DOES NOT WORK
  • getting zips with mp4 video files instead of .mov originals
  • quality severely compromised
  • full original download option (cloud and arrow) does NOT download UNALTERED ORIGINAL
  • A nightmare!!!!!!!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 1, 2024 2:54 PM

6 replies

May 2, 2024 8:59 AM in response to Zubsy

You're right-- download original works as expected with stills, but when I used it to download a 59MB mov video, I got a 4 MB mp4.

I haven't used iCloud download much except to see what it does. I presume that it syncs properly with a Mac when it's connected to iCloud. But this is certainly wrong. I would call it a bug! It ought to be fixed...

You should leave feedback for Apple here:

Feedback - Photos - Apple

May 2, 2024 9:14 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Thank you for taking an interest in my problem. I really appreciate it. Perhaps you can help solve the mystery what was going on. Here my workflow and details of the fateful download experience:

Filming

1. I film on an iPhone15 pro, 4 K resolution
  2. I do not store full resolution locally on my iPhone but "Optimize Phone Storage"
  3. Full resolution gets uploaded to the cloud

Retrieving Footage

1. I have a Mac Book Pro, running on Sonoma 14.1.1
  2. I went to the photo app on my laptop
  3. I looked for my videos, marked them and hit "import"
  4. Instead of importing, another window popped up and made me sign into "the cloud" (with my Apple ID)
  5. I found my footage there
  6. I marked it
  7. I hit the "download symbol" for full download (cloud with arrow pointing downwards)
  8. Instead of importing it into my photo app (locally onto my MacBook laptop), the download initiated
  9. The download-process created a Zip file in my MacBook "Downloads" folder (NOT in photos)
  10. I unzipped it
  11. All video files it contained were down-graded, fuzzy, unsharp .mp4 files; not at all the precisely sharp, high-resolution 4K .mov files I had filmed. (PS.: I had shot them and also briefly reviewed on my phone immediately after shooting. They were there in high resolution! Please note: No "small screen" visual error here (sharper on small iPhone screen). I checked "info" - and confirmed documented 4K size file, pixel measurements and size).
  12. The downloaded .mp4 files did not give pixel measurements.

My three big concerns:

• I am dependent on reliable resolution / upload / download (as per my settings and download maneuvers)
  • If not a given, the much touted Apple-phone-professional-video line is completely unusable
  • I am extremely stressed, because I need to deliver 4K footage.

Big question: What is happening? What is going on.

Thank you very much!

Photo App: Video Files Massively Compressed / Original Import Export iCloud Does Not Work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.