Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Photo dates changing after I have manually fixed them

I have imported some photos from Google photos. There was no date or wrong date associated with pictures, so I went in and manually changed to correct dates. Now alot of them have changed to some random date and I don't know why?

iPhone 12, iOS 17

Posted on May 1, 2024 4:54 PM

3 replies

May 2, 2024 2:44 AM in response to léonie

More details here: I have saved this as a new user tip:

Photos iOS 17: If the time displayed for a photo is different from the time we adjusted

One more thing - if the dates are really random and it is not a time zone problem, Photos may have repaired or rebuild the photos library, for example after a crash or after a system update or upgrade. During a repair Photos may collect items, that have lost the connections to the edited versions in your library, and unmodified originals or working copies may be added back to the photos library as additional photos. If you find some photo with a strange, random date, you may want to check, if the version with the adjusted date is also still there. Then keep only the adjusted version and delete the additional recovered version.

May 2, 2024 1:31 AM in response to Staceyfoo

After you imported the photos, did you assign a location to the photo as well as the date and time?

On an iPhone with iOS 17 (as shown below your question) the location of the photo will determine how the date and time will be displayed. It can be quite confusing.

For example, I have just tagged a photo with the location "Tulcea, Romania" on my iPhone with iOS 17 by swiping up and adding a place.

Then I tapped the "Adjust" button next to the date and set the time to 3pm. But I forgot to adjust the timezone as well (at the bottom, below the calendar), so the time "3pm" has been added as European mid summer time and not as the local time at Tulcea.

But the iPhone will display the date and time I added converted to the timezone of the location, so the 3pm I entered will be displayed converted to the local timezone of Tulcea, Romania and are shown as 4pm, one hour off compared to the time I have just entered.

If you want to see the date and time you adjusted displayed correctly after you entered them, be sure to assign first a location to the photo, then adjust the date and time and select the timezone of the location when you are doing this.

Photo dates changing after I have manually fixed them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.