Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How to avoid Documents folder of my MacBook from storing under iCloud

On my old High Sierra MacBook, my DOCUMENTS folder was under Favorites. Now, with my new Sonoma MacBook, my DOCUMENTS are stored under iCloud. I DO NOT want my documents in the cloud, BUT I'm ok with and want to keep my desktop on iCloud. (refer to first screen shot)

The other thing is in looking at my iCloud storage, it's about to run past the 50 mark before I'll get charged - I don't want that either. I can clearly see that DOCUMENTS is taking up all the space/storage. (refer to 2nd screen shot) I've already cleaned out apps, or taken many offline. I don't use that many apps in the first place. So what gives? Bottom line, I don't want any of my documents in iCloud; there should be an easier way to move this vs. having to create some stupid alias (as I've seen in some posts here) and move the DOCS folder around to circumvent the choice to turn off the "Desktop and Documents". I want to turn off Documents only and keep Desktop.

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on May 2, 2024 8:37 AM

9 replies

May 2, 2024 12:51 PM in response to lmerritt

The Documents data that you see on your iCloud storage screen, not only includes your Documents Folder, but also includes any Data that is stored by Apps. You can click the Manage button on that screen and see which apps you have allowed to store Documents/Data in iCloud and also delete and tapping on the App gives you the option to delete the Documents/Data.

As for if Apple will separate the 2 folders to allow you to store each individually in iCloud, there is no number you can call to find out about that, but you can provide feedback here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Users can gain some insight into upcoming features when Apple announces them at their WWDC conference that usually occurs in the Spring and they also usually provide beta versions of the OS to be released in the Fall, but speculations on those features and discussions of Beta software is not allowed in these forums.

May 2, 2024 9:09 AM in response to lmerritt

The only option is to have both folders saved in iCloud or on your Computer. How you want to manage that is up to you. Of course you can create a new folder called "Mac Documents" or "Documents on Mac" and move those files there. Any new files you want to save from Applications can be saved in that folder as well without adding to your iCloud storage.

May 2, 2024 12:11 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

Thanks, “Mac Jim ID”, that sounds reasonble, but again, 2 more concerns/?’s. Is it reasonable and correct to assume my iCloud storage screen print re DOCUMENTS, is likely due to the fact i do indeed have a LOT of docs? And, will Apple eventually create separate “turn offs” for Documents vs Desktop? If you personally can’t provide the answer to this, who do we contact (site or phone #) to facilitate the request to Apple to make this happen in a future update… hopefully sooner than later? Many thanks!

May 4, 2024 3:56 PM in response to AlWeir

NO! Not true, AIWeir!! As Jim stated and had just asked you above your reply, and as I've already tried, turning this off in Settings (and as the title reads) turns off BOTH Desktop AND Documents. I want my Desktop to remain in place and Documents OFF the cloud.

To you, Mac Jim ID, I did try creating a new folder (NOT under iCloud) like you suggested ("Mac Documents") and moved my documents from the iCloud section to above and out. HOWEVER, I could not open up MANY FILES!!!! Many types were grayed out and I had no hope of opening them up. For example, no .pdf's, no pages doc's that contained photos, no saved .png screen shots, no .key files, no old Excel or Word files (I would have to open all of them up BACK UNDER iCLOUD FIRST, then save as Numbers or Pages). So that idea was nice, but a big NO-GO.

Other suggestions from you 2 and/or Apple Support Experts, or others reading this forum string, w/b great appreciated. And, not being tech savvy or understanding shorthand tech terms, step-by-step instructions w/b a huge plus (i.e. visuals will help). Thanks all!

May 5, 2024 10:08 AM in response to lmerritt

To you, Mac Jim ID, I did try creating a new folder (NOT under iCloud) like you suggested ("Mac Documents") and moved my documents from the iCloud section to above and out. HOWEVER, I could not open up MANY FILES!!!! Many types were grayed out and I had no hope of opening them up. For example, no .pdf's, no pages doc's that contained photos, no saved .png screen shots, no .key files, no old Excel or Word files (I would have to open all of them up BACK UNDER iCLOUD FIRST, then save as Numbers or Pages). So that idea was nice, but a big NO-GO.

Not sure what you mean. That will work just fine. Create your "offline" folder in a location that does not sync (likely in your home folder). Then, drag and drop the files. Anything not on your Mac will be downloaded first when moved. Anything already on your Mac (everything unless you optimized storage) will simply move. Files will work as always.

May 5, 2024 2:14 PM in response to lmerritt

Dragging the files out or your Documents folder that on your iCloud Drive into your newly created Mac Documents folder on your Mac, in a location as muguy suggested such as your Home folder, should not be a problem at all. The only reason why I could see that they would be greyed out would be a short amount of time while they are being downloaded from iCloud.

The only thing I can suggest is after dragging the files into your newly created Mac Documents folder, select one of the greyed out files and post the screen shot of the Get Info page by going to File > Get Info.

How to avoid Documents folder of my MacBook from storing under iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.