Uncoupling two iPhones and correcting Apple ID

I have an old iPhone 8 Plus and an iPhone 11 - when I got the iPhone 11 I kept the 8 plus as a backup and for listening to podcasts whilst gardening.

my husband (who has always resisted having a mobile at all) now wants to use the old 8 Plus.

however, because the phones are linked he can’t send me a message or call me (except on WhatsApp) because iMessages and calls drop back onto his phone.

we changed the Apple ID on the 8 Plus to his name and email address but it changed mine as well!!

so I changed it back to my name and email but on both phones it has my name but HIS email address …

when I open settings, the top box has my name and my initials in the circle

when I open the Apple ID/icloud etc. The top of the screen shows:

• my initials in the circle
  • my name
  • my husband’s email address

when I go on to password & security (on iPhone 11) or name, phone numbers, email (on iPhone 8 Plus) it only shows MY email

sirry about so much detail but I’m REALLY confused, my actual questions are:

• what have I done wrong
  • how can I correct my Apple ID
  • how do I then separate the phones so that my husband can use the 8 plus

Any useful advice will be very gratefully received

thank you

Posted on May 2, 2024 11:34 PM

3 replies

May 3, 2024 1:52 AM in response to Hw1698

First make sure that the information on your iPhone is correct in Settings/Apple ID. Best to start from the beginning by logging out in Settings/Apple ID at the bottom of the page.

Then log in again with your details.

After that remove the old 8Plus from your account, as explained in this related article, and set it up afterwards with your husbands Apple ID and other information:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Uncoupling two iPhones and correcting Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.