Time Machine stopped working in Jan and never completes

I'm on a Mac Mini running Catalina 10.15.7.

I had an external drive I used for backups.

Some time in Jan was the last complete backup.

It's stuck here "Preparing backup..."

Nothing get written to the backup disk.

I removed the drive and put another there.

Same result, nothing completes.

The drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

It tests just fine.

What am I missing here?

I might have done the latest update to the OS in Jan. I can't remember.

On the options page of Time Machine it shows 399.19 GB estimated full backup

Please Help.

I've taken to copying massive files to another drive just to keep my data safe.

I have zero trust in this system now.

Posted on May 3, 2024 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2024 9:24 AM

w00die wrote:

Makes no sense the login items, one for the camera and one for the speaker would stop a backup. In fact it makes no sense any of the apps suddenly decided to break Time Machine after being there since before Jan.

Look again at Launch Daemons, Launch Agents, User Launch Agents and User Login Item.

I did clean up the apps. Trend Micro was installed in 2020 and deleted. It left something behind. I removed it. It didn't matter. None of the apps seem to matter except the Time Machine itself.

These things didn't break Time Machine. What they did was screw up your Mac, so that it could no longer backup.

Can't boot in safe mode for some reason. It hangs right before starting. Maybe the Time Machine is causing that too. I have no idea.

Safe Mode can take awhile to run. Perhaps 20 minutes or longer to fix a screwed up Mac.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2024 9:24 AM in response to w00die

w00die wrote:

Makes no sense the login items, one for the camera and one for the speaker would stop a backup. In fact it makes no sense any of the apps suddenly decided to break Time Machine after being there since before Jan.

Look again at Launch Daemons, Launch Agents, User Launch Agents and User Login Item.

I did clean up the apps. Trend Micro was installed in 2020 and deleted. It left something behind. I removed it. It didn't matter. None of the apps seem to matter except the Time Machine itself.

These things didn't break Time Machine. What they did was screw up your Mac, so that it could no longer backup.

Can't boot in safe mode for some reason. It hangs right before starting. Maybe the Time Machine is causing that too. I have no idea.

Safe Mode can take awhile to run. Perhaps 20 minutes or longer to fix a screwed up Mac.

May 6, 2024 8:14 PM in response to w00die

The main reason that your old and new Time Machine backups are preparing and not finishing. Is because your Mac mini is bogged down by a ton of third-party software and services. Plus Trend Micro Cleaner Pro.

1) Go to Apple > System Preferences > Uses & Groups > Login Items and remove everything that is set to Open at login.

2) Startup in Safe Mode followed by a normal Restart, see > Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

3) Then let the Mac mini sit on for awhile to see if Time Machine will resume and finish.

Another issue is the Write and Read Speed of your Mac mini's internal Hard Drive.

If the above steps including Safe Mode do not improve the Write and Read speed of the internal Hard Drive, then it could be failing. To test the Hard Drive get and run > https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx

May 6, 2024 7:15 PM in response to w00die

den.thed wrote:

Do you have any third party Anti Virus, Cleaning or Optimizing software installed on the Mac mini?

To which you replied

Nothing is running like that.

The EtreCheck report disagrees with you. Uninstall "Trend Micro Cleaner Pro" or whatever it is. Rule 1 of Macs is don't install junk.

The EtreCheck report also indicates Time Machine is not configured. The aforementioned "cleaner" product may have contributed to that Mac's startup disk apparent failure — its performance is very poor. It may also be the reason for Time Machine's failure to configure the way you expect.

You need to get rid of the junk, and then configure Time Machine again. The hard disk drive needs to be replaced, and you will want a reliable backup before doing that.

May 11, 2024 7:32 AM in response to w00die

The report you posted disagrees with you.

The twelve year old Mac I am using to reply to this Discussion disagrees with your assessment of Macs in general.

I am taking your advice and replacing the drive, in spite of the fact it tests fine.

Good. Hard disk drives that remain operational despite operating in a state of failure can only be diagnosed anecdotally. Tests, whether using Disk Utility or any number of popular "Dx" utilities are generally worthless. I have thrown away hard disk drives that pass those tests because they had become intolerably slow — as that one appears to be.

May 6, 2024 7:04 AM in response to w00die

Do you have any third party Anti Virus, Cleaning or Optimizing software installed on the Mac mini?

1) Have a look at > If Time Machine remains in the preparing stage on Mac - Apple Support

2) Get and run the free version of EtreCheckPro, from > https://etrecheck.com/en/index.html

Then post the EtreCheckPro report, as per > How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

May 6, 2024 6:03 AM in response to den.thed

I don't have any other backup disk showing. I removed the one I had because it stopped working in January. I didn't want to lose it since it's the only backup I have. So I replaced the drive with this one with the same result. Days and days and it still says "Preparing backup".

Thanks for responding BTW. I'm starting to question the software now. There is no reason I can see for this. The disk is fine. It's all set up fine. Two different disks won't work. I don't get it.

May 9, 2024 8:26 AM in response to John Galt

LOL. You are calling my software "junk". But honestly the only dysfunctional software I'm dealing with is Time Machine at the moment. I removed that app you mentioned. It was already deleted, but left something behind for some reason. I installed it in 2020 and deleted it. It hasn't been running. Nothing in my loaded software should interfere with backups that I can tell. Even if this "junk" software was running, it doesn't explain why Time Machine ran in Jan 2024 if the "junk" was installed in 2020.

The drive tests fine. The only critique is that it's old. Not a valid excuse for Time Machine bogging down. Not helping solve the problem. The radical idea of replacing the drive is fine, but I have no backup here. If I image the drive it might bring the problem with it.

May 9, 2024 8:31 AM in response to den.thed

May 11, 2024 6:59 AM in response to den.thed

Safe mode never completed. Another broken application alongside Time Machine. I let it run for about 8 hrs. Yet the drive testing tested just fine.

I reloaded the OS. No effect on the problem.

I never found any reason for Time Machine to not work.

You guys are as clueless as I am.

And this reporting tool didn't give a single clue why Time Machine is not working. In fact it said Time Machine is not configured which is actually untrue and there is no reason to believe it is unconfigured. It's not helping this reporting app just talks trash and has no serious facts behind it's conclusions. It's only gripe is my hard drive is old and thinks my hardware is obsolete. No doubt an excuse for software failures.

I appreciate your help though.

I've taken all your advice and I will be installing a new drive next week. I did all the cleanup and it didn't matter.

I did get the backup software Acronis to work. It took 5hr 20mins to complete the first backup. The incrementals are taking less than an hour. The backup is only 329GB. Certainly nothing Time Machine should not be able to handle. Maybe Time Machine should get some error messages into their software when it doesn't work. Help customers out for a change instead of cover up issues.

So I have a backup now at least.

I will let you know if I find anything after I replace the drive.

I'm not going to let this system become a boat anchor like my iMac when Apple decided to stop supporting it 6 years after I bought it.

May 15, 2024 8:36 PM in response to w00die

It is working now. I had to replace the hard drive. I used Acronis True Image to make a backup. Then I made a bootable USB. I replaced the internal hard drive with a Samsung 1TB SSD. Then I booted into the Acronis USB drive and formatted the disk. Then I recovered from the Acronis backup drive.

Now the Time Machine is functioning normally. Even though the original hard drive tested fine, it wasn't fine, at least it wasn't fine to the Time Machine.

May 15, 2024 8:47 PM in response to w00die

Now the Time Machine is functioning normally. Even though the original hard drive tested fine, it wasn't fine, at least it wasn't fine to the Time Machine.

That's what I mean. Hard disk drive failures are frustratingly difficult to diagnose. If I knew of a diagnostic utility that could be relied upon, I'd use it, and I'd recommend it. There aren't any, so I don't.

Time Machine stopped working in Jan and never completes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.