Computer shutdown error - safe to leave it?

I'm on a Mac running Ventura 13.3.1 and have suddenly started getting the dreaded 'computer has shut down because of error' message. I suspect I know what is causing it - I use Thunderbird for my Proton email account and this requires a 'bridge' to download the email to my computer. For some while the bridge has not worked automatically at startup and I've had to open it manually, but for the last week or so, it has started working well again - opening at startup and downloading my email. But now this message pops up. Am I okay just leaving it? While annoying, I'd prefer that and my email working well to no message and having to manually download my email.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 4, 2024 2:23 AM

3 replies

May 5, 2024 8:36 AM in response to skyreburn26

Thanks for that additional information. Whatever is going on is a bit unclear to me. Are you intentionally shutting down the Mac? (Why?) And if so, does it appear after starting it up in the usual manner? If that's the case it would imply the Mac is abnormally shutting down (once) upon startup. The subsequent reboot proceeds normally but the dialog is telling you that the previous attempt was terminated abnormally. Please correct me if I am describing the phenomenon incorrectly.

• If the Mac shuts down upon startup, it implies something is attempting to load, and whatever that is gets disabled upon the subsequent attempt.

Computer shutdown error - safe to leave it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.