How can I prevent wear and tear on my Apple Silicone case?

Thought I'd gauge the communities thoughts on this. 5-month old Apple silicone case for iPhone 15 breaks through normal use ? 15-year old says the case edge broke and the silicone ripped as he picked it up from the side. Both the vendor and Apple have declined offering a replacement claiming its user wear and tear. Really ? We've bought a few of these over the years and never had this issue with Apple cases before. To me it looks as though the plastic edge has failed and the silicone has ripped where there's no internal lining. These things aren't cheap and you expect them last a little longer than 5 months. What do you think, should I pursue it ?

Thanks,

A

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

iPhone 15

Posted on May 4, 2024 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2024 8:42 AM

You can certainly pursue this as far as you want to.

As far as what is shown in the images you provided, it looks more like someone tried to remove the case and caused the tear, not that it was just "picked up from the side". It would be a matter of physics ... but, I am only guessing based on what you provided.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2024 8:42 AM in response to iCider

You can certainly pursue this as far as you want to.

As far as what is shown in the images you provided, it looks more like someone tried to remove the case and caused the tear, not that it was just "picked up from the side". It would be a matter of physics ... but, I am only guessing based on what you provided.

May 4, 2024 10:03 AM in response to GalacticMariner

Should they? Probably not, especially if new. Can they? Absolutely! Certain conditions may affect the materials used for the case. Like the extreme ends of the ambient temperature spectrum that it is exposed to.

Tears, like this one, are more caused by bending or prying the case from the phone. Note that this particular tear has occurred at a "weak" point where there are small holes that perforate the case.

Could this be a manufacturing defect? Possibly, but according to the OP, Apple rejected that reason. I'm not saying that this isn't an issue with the Apple silicon cases, as we do see a number of posts here with what appear to be complaints about them.

May 5, 2024 6:17 AM in response to iCider

Same thing happened to my case from normal use of pulling it out of my pocket. This is the second time an Apple case has failed me. From my experience Apple just doesn't make a quality case which is a shame. I tried to super glue the case back together but I also ordered a third party case off Amazon for $50 less than Apple's case.

How can I prevent wear and tear on my Apple Silicone case?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.