HP Office Jet Pro 7720 using iMac macOS 14.4.1 Fine gaps in printing

Hi all.

I have a feeling apple forum might not be where I need to be but HP are not really helping so thought I'd try here :-)

I've got a HP Pro 7720 and I've got issues with fine gaps while printing. I've tried all the usual stuff and after 2 days I'm exasperated!

I managed to print out a nozzle test and it's showing gaps but all this 'seemed' to happen when I had a paper jam - I've checked everywhere as carefully as I can so not sure if this is a nozzle or jam issue but I really need it clearing up and if I can do it all the better 🙂

I've attached a photo of the report if that helps and I have determined that printing a copy direct from the printer and also sending a picture or file to print creates the same issues. (Hence why I don't think having a Mac makes a difference but shared wisdom and all that haha)

Any help very very much appreciated. 

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on May 4, 2024 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2024 1:35 PM

Those lines (gaps) indicate that you need to clean the print head(s). It is a common problem with inkjet printers.

Inkjet printers usually have a utility to do both Nozzle Check (which you have done) and Head Cleaning. You should be able to find this in the HP Utility. Or via System Preferences > Printers & Scanners > [printer name] > Options & Supplies > Utility > Open Printer Utility.

After you run head cleaning, print another Nozzle Test to check status. Sometimes it takes 2 cleanings to set things straight. Be aware that head cleaning consumes ink, so you don't want to keep doing it over & over. I don't recall ever having to do it more than 2x.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2024 1:35 PM in response to alexier

Those lines (gaps) indicate that you need to clean the print head(s). It is a common problem with inkjet printers.

Inkjet printers usually have a utility to do both Nozzle Check (which you have done) and Head Cleaning. You should be able to find this in the HP Utility. Or via System Preferences > Printers & Scanners > [printer name] > Options & Supplies > Utility > Open Printer Utility.

After you run head cleaning, print another Nozzle Test to check status. Sometimes it takes 2 cleanings to set things straight. Be aware that head cleaning consumes ink, so you don't want to keep doing it over & over. I don't recall ever having to do it more than 2x.

HP Office Jet Pro 7720 using iMac macOS 14.4.1 Fine gaps in printing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.