Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Hello can I connect a 8k monitor on my M1 Mac studio 2022 using a Thunderbolt 4 to DP cable. ?

Hello can I connect a 8k monitor on my M1 Mac studio 2022 using a Thunderbolt 4 to DP cable. ?

Posted on May 4, 2024 11:46 AM

4 replies

May 4, 2024 2:03 PM in response to Rudybabao

I don't believe that the M1 Max and M1 Ultra Mac Studios support 8K resolution.

If you use the pull-down menu in the previously-mentioned Apple Support article to select one of the 2022 models (those were the ones with M1 Max and M1 Ultra chips), the documentation refers to "up to 6K at 60 Hz."

The Technical Specifications for the M1 Max and M1 Ultra models also make no reference to 6K.

Mac Studio (2022) - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

Even the Technical Specifications for the M2 Max and M2 Ultra models only refer to 8K in the context of HDMI. The Support article does refer to the possibility of 8K @ 60 Hz over Thunderbolt for those models. I'm not sure why the two Apple documentation sources differ.

Mac Studio - Technical Specifications - Apple

May 4, 2024 1:52 PM in response to Rudybabao

As I read the specs and that article, they stop just short of assuring you that this is supported over ONE ThunderBolt cable with adapters.

if you can't get it to work with ONE cable...

One way you can connect a really wide display is to use TWO display cables, one for each Left-Right HALF of the complete display. On the display, you use Picture-By-Picture feature to put the two halves back together again. On the Mac, you Arrange the two half displays so that they are adjacent and make one continuous picture.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.