Change keyboard to use Function keys first is not working in System Settings. Why not??

Hi, I am on an M1 Studio Ultra, OS Ventura. I have a Macally keyboard that has a row of Function keys that also double as having Mac specific functions. I want the Function keys to default to the regular usage, and not the Mac-specific functions. I have followed the steps to go into System Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Function Keys > Enable = Using F1, F2 as standard function keys... It's not working. When I press any Function key it still does the Mac-specific function. I have tried rebooting. Any other tips??? Thanks

Posted on May 4, 2024 12:56 PM

1 reply

May 4, 2024 1:58 PM in response to innerbooty

This is the way it is for me on Ventura:

If you have this checkbox checked and it's still not working give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Change keyboard to use Function keys first is not working in System Settings. Why not??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.