Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How to insert Macrons on iMac Sonoma with Magic Keyboard

On my MacBook Air I can press and hold characters to insert a macron (same as with my iPhone) but I can't do this on my iMac M3 with a Magic keyboard. Any help would be really appreciated.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 24″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 4, 2024 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2024 5:37 AM

Cirrus_Sky wrote: I don't have the "ABC Extended" option

Yes, you do. Click on the + at the bottom of the All Input Sources list, then select English, then select ABC Extended, then click on the Add button.

Then go to the top right of your screen and find the Input Menu, click on that and select ABC Extended.

10 replies

May 5, 2024 7:09 AM in response to Cirrus_Sky

Cirrus_Sky wrote:

here is a picture of ... what I see when I try to add the Accent Menu.

If your Accent Menu does not work at all, so that nothing happens when you press and hold a key, then to get it back you may need to use the 3rd fix which is provided in the link I gave you before, namely this:

+Open the Terminal App in Applications/Utilities and type:

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool true

and then press return and restart.

May 4, 2024 9:28 PM in response to Cirrus_Sky

If you add the input source called ABC Extended to your list in system settings > keyboard > text input > edit > input sources, and then select that in the input menu at the top right of the screen, you can always make macrons via option a, then the base letter. Or the base letter and then option shift a.

To ask Apple to add macrons to the Accent Menu you get via press and hold, you can use

Product Feedback - Apple

If you do not have the Accent Menu at all, here is the fix for that:

MacOS Accent Menu Has Disappeared - Apple Community

May 5, 2024 5:51 AM in response to Cirrus_Sky

Cirrus_Sky wrote:

The press and hold system allowed you to choose from a menu of macrons.

The macron, the bar above, is just one of the accents in the press and hold pop up menu. The others have different names. When using ABC Extended, you make macron with Option A. When you need a different one, like ˆ, called circumflex, you use a different key. A list is at

https://sites.psu.edu/symbolcodes/mac/codemacext/

May 4, 2024 6:16 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you this works for Māori words but if I am using a word from another language e.g. Laâyoune - I don't get the â option. I only get the ā option. So it seems like a leap backwards. The press and hold system allowed you to choose from a menu of macrons. Do you have any other suggestions please? Seems weird to lose this functionality in an upgrade. Thanks.

How to insert Macrons on iMac Sonoma with Magic Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.