Transfer Active FaceTime Call to Apple TV4K

I have been looking through the Support site and on YouTube trying to find very specific Inst ructions on transferring an active FaceTime call from my iPhone to my Apple TV 4K 2gen. I know how to mirror the screen, but what I want to do is use the FaceTime capability on Apple TV in TOS 17.

When you’re looking at your iPhone screen on an active FaceTime call what buttons do you push to transfer it to the Apple TV?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 17

Posted on May 4, 2024 8:31 PM

2 replies

May 5, 2024 9:16 AM in response to muguy

Thank you. Precisely what I was seeking. Not sure how I missed it.

Hand off a FaceTime call between an iPhone or iPad and Apple TV 4K(2nd generation or later)

You can start a FaceTime call on your iPhone or iPad, then hand it off to the larger screen on Apple TV 4K (2nd generation or later) when you’re signed in with the same Apple ID. You can also switch the call back to your iPhone or iPad from Apple TV.

1. Start a FaceTime call on an iPhone or iPad.
  2. Apple TV detects when a FaceTime call is in progress and a notification may appear with the suggestion “Use [device name] to move to TV.”
  3. Do any of the following:
    • On iPhone or iPad, tap Move (next to the Move to Apple TV notification that appears).
    • On iPhone or iPad, tap the Speaker button , then choose the Apple TV from the list.
    • Press and hold the TV button  on the Siri Remote, selectthe FaceTime tab  in the Control Center, then select your iPhone or iPad.
    • Open the FaceTime app  on Apple TV 4K (2nd generation or later), then select your profile on the Continuity Camera screen.
  1. Position your iPhone or iPad near the TV in landscape orientation so that the rear camera (iPhone) or front camera (iPad) faces you and you’re satisfied with the way you appear in the preview on your TV screen.
  2. A short countdown begins automatically when the iPhone or iPad is in landscape orientation and still. When the countdown ends, the call moves to the Apple TV.
  3. You can also press the Play/Pause button  on the Siri Remote to skip this step.
  4. On the iPhone or iPad, a banner appears confirming that the Apple TV is using the device as a Continuity Camera.
  5. Do any of the following:
    • Pause the call: Tap Pause.
    • Switch the call back to iPhone or iPad: Tap Switch to iPhone or Switch to iPad.
    • End the call: Tap End Call and Disconnect.

Transfer Active FaceTime Call to Apple TV4K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.