Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How to achieve 4:3 aspect ratio on MacBook external display

Hi, Im trying to get a 4:3 aspect ratio on an external display but there is never an option or resolution i can choose to make it 4:3. I really want to watch 4:3 content on my CRT's without the black bars/ squished resolution.any and all advise would be useful, thank you.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 5, 2024 1:36 PM

1 reply

May 5, 2024 10:41 PM in response to derktheclerk

Unless your external monitor has an aspect ratio of 4:3, there is no way that you can watch 4:3 content on it without either

• Mangling the picture in some way (stretching / squashing / cropping / "pan and scan"), or
  • Leaving part of the monitor unused ("black bars") so that you can watch content properly in Original Aspect Ratio

So is your monitor a 4:3 one, or a widescreen one (16:10, 16:9, or even wider)?

If your monitor is a widescreen one, I would suggest viewing the 4:3 TV show content in Original Aspect Ratio – with "black bars" on the sides.

How to achieve 4:3 aspect ratio on MacBook external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.