Help! Incomplete import from MiniDV. Recording counter resets...

Several months ago I was able to import full miniDV tapes through my camera (Canon HV40) to iMovie without issue. Now when I try to do any length import (1 min, 10 min, 30 min), after it is complete, I only see < 1 minute of clips generated. Most of the clips are less than 1 second long, and some are about 10-20s. iMovie is not throwing any errors.

I noticed that while the import is in progress, and imovie shows the "Recording..." message and counter. This counter resets to 0 at least once during the import. I'm pretty sure this is related to the missing imports..

I'm using a M1 Macbook with fully updated software. Anyone know what could be the problem?

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 6, 2024 9:00 AM

15 replies

May 17, 2024 7:54 AM in response to whodat123

I've been having comparable issues importing Mini DV tapes from my old camera to iMovie. I get over a thousand clips per 60-minute import. The Record clock on iMovie also resets every few seconds while importing. Additionally, large groups of the imported clips are out of chronological order.

I've also tried importing to QTP and experienced the same error. QTP stops after a few seconds of importing and sends an error message "Recording Stopped".

The loose cable connection theory seems reasonable. The only connection I could imagine being an issue would be the DV port on the camera. The rest of the connections and ports being used are all basically brand new.

May 6, 2024 12:25 PM in response to whodat123

As Keith has suggested, possible cable issue.

Are all cable connections good??

Have you got a miniDV head cleaning tape to hand that you can run through your Canon?

Out of curiosity have you updated/upgraded any software since it last worked several months ago,

i.e. Sanoma or iMovie?? Several new versions of Sonoma since January.

Try importing using QuickTime Player> New Movie Recording. Paragraph 2 mentions using external camcorder.

Not ideal because you then have to import this into iMovie and you also don't get the scene breaks, just one long clip.

The counter resetting to zero suggests that timecode is being lost. Cable connections?? Heads require cleaning??

Link to QTP New Movie Recording

Record a movie in QuickTime Player on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

May 17, 2024 8:37 AM in response to whodat123

Canon ZR20

2023 Mac Studio

Ventura

You are not alone.

No solution so far. I just ordered a head cleaning tape. If that doesn't help, my next move may be to purchase another old ZR20 that, hopefully, is in better condition than mine.

The frustrating part is knowing that this can be done. People digitize Mini DV tapes regularly. In most cases, the tapes and recordings are going to be recent versus my twenty-year-old recordings on twenty-year-old tapes. Still, unless there are issues with all of my tapes, there is a way to successfully get this done.

Here's the detailed description of my experience:

Importing Mini DV to iMovie - Apple Community

May 6, 2024 12:12 PM in response to Keith Barkley

All the cables are Apple and the Camera appears to be connected the entire time when I look at System Information and keep refreshing. Also, if the camera was losing connection, I would expect the video playback during recording to stutter or iMovie to throw an error.

So far I tried 2 tapes and both had this issue, I'll try one that succeeded 6 months ago again tonight and see what happens.

May 9, 2024 11:01 AM in response to whodat123

If there is an issue with loss of timecode then capturing tape using QTP, that I mentioned earlier, is more forgiving than iMovie .

Posts on here have shown over time that sometimes QTP can capture tape where iMovie/FCP can't.

Loss of timecode will not necessarily be observed when playing the tapes in the camera.

Problems, like yours, can sometimes be seen when playing back tapes on a different camcorder to what they were recorded on.

Also if tapes were recorded in Long play as against standard play mode then similar issues can occur.

No guarantee, but capturing with QTP might be worth a go.

Help! Incomplete import from MiniDV. Recording counter resets...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.