Does Apple Pay/always need a passcode 6-20-30 times a day?

Since being forced to put a passcode on my watch I need to put in a passcode nearly every time I lift my wrist.

The iPhone does NOT unlock my watch. I am now wondering why I have this on my watch at all.

Rather than being good for my health, it has raised my stress annoyance levels to new highs.

I saw this was a problem 7 years ago with hundreds of people complaining.

Has anyone found a workaround?

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 10

Posted on May 6, 2024 12:41 PM

8 replies

May 6, 2024 12:45 PM in response to Mindzman

Hahaha I hate that too bro xD

Reduce Passcode Prompts:

Unlock with iPhone: By default, your Apple Watch should unlock automatically when your paired iPhone is unlocked and nearby. This significantly reduces the need for a passcode on the watch itself. Here's how to enable it:

Open the Watch app on your iPhone.

Tap "My Watch".

Select "Passcode".

Ensure "Unlock with iPhone" is turned on.

• Wrist Detection: Apple Watch uses wrist detection to determine if it's worn. If you take it off and put it back on, it might prompt for a passcode for security reasons. You can adjust the sensitivity of wrist detection:

Tap "My Watch".

Select "General".

Toggle "Wrist Detection" on or off depending on your preference. (Turning it off might require a passcode more often for security).

Alternatives to Passcode:

4-Digit Passcode: If a full 6-digit passcode feels excessive, you can switch to a 4-digit passcode for quicker entry. However, this might be less secure. Here's how to change it:

Tap "My Watch".

Select "Passcode".

Tap "Change Passcode" and follow the on-screen instructions.

May 6, 2024 1:12 PM in response to Mindzman

Mindzman wrote:

Since being forced to put a passcode on my watch I need to put in a passcode nearly every time I lift my wrist.

The iPhone does NOT unlock my watch. I am now wondering why I have this on my watch at all.

Rather than being good for my health, it has raised my stress annoyance levels to new highs.

I saw this was a problem 7 years ago with hundreds of people complaining.
Has anyone found a workaround?

As I noted in my response to your other post, this is not normal. There are millions of Apple Watches out there. Most people don't have this problem, but I know that doesn't eliminate the frustration you feel if you are among the few who do.

What troubleshooting steps have you taken? Is your watchOS up-to-date (watchOS 10.4)? Have you tried un-pairing and re-pairing the watch? Do you have any tattoos on your wrist? Do you have Wrist Detection enabled? Watch App>Passcode>Wrist Detection

May 6, 2024 1:14 PM in response to IOSlife

IOSlife wrote:

Wrist Detection:• Apple Watch uses wrist detection to determine if it's worn. If you take it off and put it back on, it might prompt for a passcode for security reasons. You can adjust the sensitivity of wrist detection:

Tap "My Watch".

Select "General".

Toggle "Wrist Detection" on or off depending on your preference. (Turning it off might require a passcode more often for security).

That's not where the Wrist detection setting is to be found.

May 8, 2024 6:38 AM in response to Mindzman

Mindzman wrote:

No Tattoos, my iPhone is always with me but uses Face ID so guess that makes it useless to unlock.

My phone uses FaceID, and I don't have this problem with Apple Pay, so I'm not sure what you mean by that being useless.

I solved the problem by removing Apple Pay from my watch.

I generally find Apple Pay on my watch to be easier to use than Apple Pay on a phone with Face ID (it's the one thing I really liked TouchID for better). It's unfortunate that you're having trouble with it. But, if you don't want to continue to troubleshoot, I get that.

May 8, 2024 6:42 AM in response to Jeff Donald

I unpaired and wiped my watch, then re-paired it. This was done with an Apple advisor.

I solved the problem of realizing what I use my watch for. EKG, steps (no I DON'T want to record an outdoor walk), tell the time, let Siri send texts (often amusing), let me know the temp, and time is 3 other time zones,

So Apple Pay was fun but too annoying to use on my watch.

Does Apple Pay/always need a passcode 6-20-30 times a day?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.