Data for MMS Only

New iPhone user here, late adopter by nature yet dying to know more. Dramatic entrance ...

Key to my question is for you to know that my cellular plan contains 'Unlimited MMS North-America'. This means my plan ONLY includes data for MMS messages and nothing else. (No internet for example).

Is there a way in iPhone Messages to have cellular (data) turned off and have MMS messages automatically go through? Reason for asking is because my previous Android phone had a feature that would enable such a thing. I cannot expect everything to be the same of course and since I am exploring the Apple system, I want to know if this is possible.

If not, can you suggest a different way of going about it?

iPhone 15, iOS 17

Posted on May 6, 2024 8:13 PM

3 replies

May 7, 2024 9:22 AM in response to iAye

iAye wrote:

New iPhone user here, late adopter by nature yet dying to know more. Dramatic entrance ...

Key to my question is for you to know that my cellular plan contains 'Unlimited MMS North-America'. This means my plan ONLY includes data for MMS messages and nothing else. (No internet for example).

Is there a way in iPhone Messages to have cellular (data) turned off and have MMS messages automatically go through? Reason for asking is because my previous Android phone had a feature that would enable such a thing. I cannot expect everything to be the same of course and since I am exploring the Apple system, I want to know if this is possible.

If not, can you suggest a different way of going about it?

No, If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

May 7, 2024 9:23 PM in response to razmee209

Thank you. As we speak I run into another related question. Someone just sent me an iMessage because their iPhone probably recognized my phone as an iMessage capable device, meaning it sent over internet. Since I am not on either internet/data 24/7, I got the message just now in the evening.

So considering the link above, I guess with my usage it is then best to disable iMessage altogether to force everyone's device to send me SMS in order to not miss out on messages? Please correct me if I am wrong.

I think, for the sake of delivering messages regardless of whether they are iMessage or SMS, it would be nice if a device can check for connectivity on either device and automatically switch the text bar in Messages to SMS or iMessage. (To ensure delivery of message). And then when you really need to force something one way or the other, hold the 'send' button to choose? Otherwise it feels like I am chasing messages down by turning on and off wifi or data all day.

However, there must be a reason why it is setup the way it is. If someone can clarify or correct me in a wrongful statement here, please do!

*I realize the topic is drifting a little off-topic, but I am curious and then I want to know all the answers in the world!

Data for MMS Only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.