How to Stop StatefulFirewall Installation from Interrupting iMac Shutdown?

When I try to shut down my I Mac, I get the message StatefulFirewall is being installed. Interupting the install may damage your computer. I have tried to quit the install to no avail. My mac will not shut down short of cutting the power.

This issue has been going on for two days. The install appears to have frozen. I have tried force quitting the install but that doesn't work. I get regular updates from Apple and it was when I updated that the issue started.

[Edited by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 7, 2024 9:24 AM

3 replies

May 7, 2024 10:01 AM in response to Mighty1Kerb

Is this filevault something you wanted installed?

Is your iMac a home computer? If so is it behind a router. If it is you don't need the StatefulFirewall. The router will be plenty secure enough.

Do you have a current Time Machine backup of your boot drive?

Is this StatefulFirewall something you want installed? If not then I'd force shutdown your iMac by holding down the Power button until it shuts down.

Next, boot up into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac.

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Finally, download and run the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For StatefulFirewall

software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains statefulfirewall

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

If Find Any File doesn't find any files then you may be getting a spam notification. Was the notification in the form of a rectangle in the upper right hand corner of your screen? If so try this:

How to Stop StatefulFirewall Installation from Interrupting iMac Shutdown?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.