Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Using old iMac as a second screen

Hi,

I would like to use my old iMac as a second screen for my new MacBook Pro

The iMac is from mid-2011 (OS Sierra 10.12.6), the 21.5 inch version and only a thunderbolt 1 port (no thunderbolt 2)

The MacBook Pro is from November 2023 (14 inch) with OS 14.4.1.

Is there a way the I can use my iMac as a second screen for my MacBook?

Thanks in advance!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 7, 2024 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2024 3:19 PM

You might be able to pull it off with Luna Display or Duet, but these are not free products and the connectivity issues to your 2011 iMac will likely be an added cost and most likely too slow to enjoy. Better to buy an LG 4K display that fits within your budget, and a Belkin High-Speed HDMI 2.1 cable to connect to your 2023 MacBook Pro.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2024 3:19 PM in response to Samheefteenvraag

You might be able to pull it off with Luna Display or Duet, but these are not free products and the connectivity issues to your 2011 iMac will likely be an added cost and most likely too slow to enjoy. Better to buy an LG 4K display that fits within your budget, and a Belkin High-Speed HDMI 2.1 cable to connect to your 2023 MacBook Pro.

Using old iMac as a second screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.