Has Apple recognized the USB problem with Sonoma?

Sonoma is USB broken. It is unreliable with random failure modes. But the latest release notes show no evidence Apple is aware of this problem. Is anyone from Apple out there?

Thanks to this community, I've successfully backed out to Ventura and now USB works reliably. But I'd like to stay current with the latest OS if it didn't break USB.

Bob Wilson

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 8, 2024 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2024 5:30 AM

becki181 wrote:

feb 29,2024 apple patches sonoma 14.4.1 and my usb drive that i've been using for 2 desktops, over the years, is suddenly read only. apple can't figure it out. the last backup from time machine was that day and now, it can't mount the drive. it can fsck it but it mounts it as read only and i don't have the option in settings->privacy to set it at all. it's just not that.

3 phone calls to apple so far today and they are blaming everyone but themselves.

Technically, Apple released Sonoma on Mar 25, 2024 and not " feb 29,2024 "

About the security content of macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Technically, when TM Backup is used " the last backup from time machine was that day and now, " The Destination drive would be mark a Read Only

Only TM Backup Utility has the ability to Read and Write to the destination drive

Apple can fix Apple Services, Applications, Operating Systems and Accessories 

Apple can not fix Third Party Services that use Third Party Applications 

Apple can’t fix the Users’ choice of Third Party Applications installed and use on this computer.

That falls clearly Out-Side the Domain of Apple and belongs solely with the Third Party Service or Third Party Application Developers 

As for mounting or not mounting

Have 1 M1, 1 M2 and 1 M3 machines all running Sonoma 14.4.1

USB-A or USB-C connected devices all work just fine ( No >> Hubs Self Powered or USB Powered Hubs ) involved at all

Yes do have some older USB-A drives and use a simple USB-A to USB-C pass through adapter when needed

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2024 5:30 AM in response to becki181

becki181 wrote:

feb 29,2024 apple patches sonoma 14.4.1 and my usb drive that i've been using for 2 desktops, over the years, is suddenly read only. apple can't figure it out. the last backup from time machine was that day and now, it can't mount the drive. it can fsck it but it mounts it as read only and i don't have the option in settings->privacy to set it at all. it's just not that.

3 phone calls to apple so far today and they are blaming everyone but themselves.

Technically, Apple released Sonoma on Mar 25, 2024 and not " feb 29,2024 "

About the security content of macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Technically, when TM Backup is used " the last backup from time machine was that day and now, " The Destination drive would be mark a Read Only

Only TM Backup Utility has the ability to Read and Write to the destination drive

Apple can fix Apple Services, Applications, Operating Systems and Accessories 

Apple can not fix Third Party Services that use Third Party Applications 

Apple can’t fix the Users’ choice of Third Party Applications installed and use on this computer.

That falls clearly Out-Side the Domain of Apple and belongs solely with the Third Party Service or Third Party Application Developers 

As for mounting or not mounting

Have 1 M1, 1 M2 and 1 M3 machines all running Sonoma 14.4.1

USB-A or USB-C connected devices all work just fine ( No >> Hubs Self Powered or USB Powered Hubs ) involved at all

Yes do have some older USB-A drives and use a simple USB-A to USB-C pass through adapter when needed

May 9, 2024 7:49 AM in response to becki181

Something is very incorrect here

The user refers to Patch from Apple - ok.

At the same time infers this patch and quote " feb 29,2024 apple patches sonoma 14.4.1 " - ok

But and yes another but the Imaged suppled and here I reuse the same image

It reports the computer is in fact running Ventura 13.6.6

Please, If one would care to comment where this is going and where exactly is the issue ?

May 8, 2024 5:08 PM in response to bwilson4web2

This is YOUR MacBook Air that has this problem. It is not MY MacBook Air that has this problem. And there are probably over a million of that model that don’t have a problem. What did Apple say when you made a genius bar appointment to have it checked out?

Do you use VPN? If so, delete the VPN profile in Settings/General/VPN & Device Management/VPN. Don't just turn it off; delete the profile. It was most likely the cause of the problem.

May 8, 2024 1:51 PM in response to bwilson4web2

bwilson4web2 wrote:

Sonoma is USB broken. It is unreliable with random failure modes. But the latest release notes show no evidence Apple is aware of this problem. Is anyone from Apple out there?

This is a user-to-user support forum. Apple doesn't generally participate directly. If you want to discuss this matter with Apple, you can start with the support link at the bottom left of every page of these forums.

Thanks to this community, I've successfully backed out to Ventura and now USB works reliably. But I'd like to stay current with the latest OS if it didn't break USB.

Personally, I'm having no issues with USB using Sonoma. Are you connecting things directly? Through a hub? Through an adapter?

May 9, 2024 6:06 AM in response to becki181

IMHO - There has been sufficient advise offered for the User ( you ), from Several Contributors , to make an informed and educated choice what remedial actions are  required for this computer.

The suggestions have been put forth on a volunteer basis, in good faith and in the best interests of the computer.

May 8, 2024 4:13 PM in response to bwilson4web2

May 9, 2024 5:41 AM in response to PRP_53

it's not users choice, it's time machine, from apple, that stopped after the patch, provided by apple, was put on 2/29/24. it's a time machine that has been running for years with no problems. suddenly the drive is read only. also, the "allow accessories" choice in settings is not there, for the desktop, but it is for the two laptops. that is not user choice. it's not greyed out it's not there. i finally got ahold of someone and sent them all the logs.

the laptops are fine. this is a m1 2022 desktop having the issue. searching on 14.4.1 and usb shows a lot of people are having this issue.

Has Apple recognized the USB problem with Sonoma?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.