PrivateKey constantly required in Mail

Recently when I send an email from my mac through the mail app I get a pop up window saying "mail wants to sign using key "privateKey" in your keychain'. It then gives me the options to Always allow, deny or allow once. What does this mean, why does it come up and can I stop it from asking this.

Also - some people complain my emails come in the form of attachments they need to open first.

Are these related?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.7

Posted on May 8, 2024 7:50 PM

1 reply

May 9, 2024 2:24 AM in response to Dtorr1

Dtorr1 wrote:

Recently when I send an email from my mac through the mail app I get a pop up window saying "mail wants to sign using key "privateKey" in your keychain'. It then gives me the options to Always allow, deny or allow once. What does this mean, why does it come up and can I stop it from asking this.

Also - some people complain my emails come in the form of attachments they need to open first.

Are these related?

If your Mac keeps asking for your keychain password

Your keychain may be locked automatically if your computer has been inactive for a period of time or your user password and keychain password are out of sync. You can set a length of time that Keychain Access waits before automatically requiring you to enter your password again.

1. In the Keychain Access app  on your Mac, click “login” in the Keychains list.
  2. Choose Edit > Change Settings for Keychain “login.”
  3. Select the “Lock after” checkbox, then enter a number of minutes.
  4. If you want to require a password each time the computer goes to sleep, select the “Lock when sleeping” checkbox.
  5. Click Save.

The moment an email is sent, it is out of your control as to How the Recipients email application ( client ) will render your email.

So email clients ( applications ) may render as you have sent it and other may receive it as an email attachment

This is especially true if you are sending file attachments with the email

Send attachments to Windows users in Mail on Mac

PrivateKey constantly required in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.