You shut your computer down because of a problem - finding the problem

I'm on a Mac desktop running Ventura 13.3.1 with a second Apple monitor, Logitech keyboard and Evoluent ergonomic mouse. No problems with this set up for literal years but over the last 10 days I am getting the message 'You shut your computer down because of a problem' and I do not know what this problem is. I thought it was the Proton bridge software that allows me to use Mozilla Thunderbird to download my emails (for the bizarre reason that this software actually start to work better in the last ten days) but I have removed all the software in an effort to sort this problem but to no effect. I also removed the peripherals, in this case an Apple CD-ROM and my Seagate backup disk but to no effect. Then yesterday when the Mac woke up after 'sleeping,' my desktop was rearranged and all my folders, etc were on the main Mac screen and not second screen, which woke up normally with the rest of the kit. I manually arranged things back to where they belonged and they have stayed through further boot-ups. I looked in Diagnosic Reports and can not discern what the problem is, although I do see 'should repair' being mentioned. So here is a bit of the most recent report in case it helps.

{"timestamp":"2024-05-06 17:14:19.47 +0100","bug_type":"226","os_version":"macOS 13.3.1 (22E772610a)"}{"postTime":1715012059475.5039,"events":[{"PCSCKMirrorStatus-Photos-success":1,"PCSCKMirrorStatus-CloudKit-success":1,"cdpShouldRepairTimestamp_prev":1682611267.602608,"PCSCKMirrorStatus-Gaming-success":1,"topic":"xp_coreos_securebackup","wAvailableTimestamp_prev":1666844456.570266,"CloudServicesBackupForViewName-success":78,"CloudServicesiCloudIdentity-success":4,"cdpShouldRepair":-1,"PCSCKMirrorStatus-com.apple.icloud-appleid.privacy-success":1,"success_count":448,"otCliqueStatusTimestamp":1666844456.570266,"PCSCKMirrorStatus-News-success":1,"eventTime":1715012059468.9331,"eventLinkID":"A328655A-40A7-4324-

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 8, 2024 11:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2024 7:31 PM

Let’s see if this issue happens in Safe Mode:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Press and hold the power button on your Mac. As you continue to hold the power button, your Mac turns on and loads startup options. When you see Options, release the power button.
  3. Select your startup disk. It's named Macintosh HD, unless you changed its name.
  4. Press and hold the Shift key, then click the “Continue in Safe Mode” button below your startup disk.
  5. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode:

Leave safe mode by restarting your Mac normally, then try to reproduce the issue.

If the issue doesn't return, it might have been resolved by the other things that safe mode did at startup, such as checking your disk and clearing caches.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2024 7:31 PM in response to skyreburn26

Let’s see if this issue happens in Safe Mode:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Press and hold the power button on your Mac. As you continue to hold the power button, your Mac turns on and loads startup options. When you see Options, release the power button.
  3. Select your startup disk. It's named Macintosh HD, unless you changed its name.
  4. Press and hold the Shift key, then click the “Continue in Safe Mode” button below your startup disk.
  5. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode:

Leave safe mode by restarting your Mac normally, then try to reproduce the issue.

If the issue doesn't return, it might have been resolved by the other things that safe mode did at startup, such as checking your disk and clearing caches.

May 11, 2024 2:45 AM in response to skyreburn26

I must reiterate the suggestion from @ HWTech regarding Etrecheck Application

That is, if one what a more complete over view of the Hardware / Software used on this computer.  

One thing for sure and without the Etrecheck application involved

" I'm on a Mac desktop running Ventura 13.3.1 "

This computer is well behind on updates

About the security content of macOS Ventura 13.6.6

Always make a Time Machine Backup  before doing any upDates

May 11, 2024 11:55 AM in response to skyreburn26

skyreburn26 wrote:

I booted it in Safe Mode and that does seem to have solved the problem because the message no longer appears when I boot up.

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback.

So I am guessing something was lurking in my cache, possibly left over from a Ventura update conflict with one of my non-Apple software or hardware, and that cleared it.

That seems logical.

So thanks for this. I didn't realise the other things Safe Mode does.

That’s how we all learn, from trial and error. 😉

Cheers! 🥂

May 11, 2024 2:46 AM in response to skyreburn26

Download the Application Etrecheck  ( External Link ) directly from the Developer.

The Application is Not a " Silver Bullet "  and is  only a tool to examine the Hardware / Software used on this computer 

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer Hardware / Software used on this computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

Lastly - should you decide to use and post the Report now or at a later time, we are willing to have a very close look and offer some insights 

May 10, 2024 7:27 PM in response to skyreburn26

Please post several complete Kernel Panic logs here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper on the forum editing toolbar. The Kernel Panic logs are located in "/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports" with file names beginning with "kernel" and/or ending in ".panic". If there are no kernel panic logs in that folder, then look in the "Retired" subfolder.

You can also run the third party app EtreCheck and post the complete report here so we can examine it for clues. While this report will include summaries of the Kernel Panic logs, sometimes those summaries don't contain any useful information.

May 11, 2024 1:44 AM in response to Smilin-Brian

There was no actual issue with the machine's operation - just this 'you shut your computer down because of a problem' message at startup and hence, a delayed startup. But once it was booted, it worked fine and this was the whole question - I didn't know what the problem was. Anyhow, I booted it in Safe Mode and that does seem to have solved the problem because the message no longer appears when I boot up. So I am guessing something was lurking in my cache, possibly left over from a Ventura update conflict with one of my non-Apple software or hardware, and that cleared it. So thanks for this. I didn't realise the other things Safe Mode does.

I did look in DiagnosticReports both before and after booting in Safe Mode and there never were any Kerman Panic logs, either in the first part or Retired - which is why I didn't post them originally. This again may point to the issue being in the cache.

May 11, 2024 8:25 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for the heads up on needing an update. I'm usually good about that sort of thing but seem to have turned off the automatic update on the desktop, so did that. Also downloaded EtreCheck and ran it. As I suspected, the problem did seem to be resolved by opening in Safe Mode, so was probably something in the cache. EtreCheck found no problems other than that my update was not turned on (it now is) and the potential for kernal issues with my Logitech keyboard and Evoluent mouse but no issues at the moment. I can see where this software would be helpful if a problem were more intransigent.

May 11, 2024 8:33 AM in response to skyreburn26

skyreburn26 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on needing an update. I'm usually good about that sort of thing but seem to have turned off the automatic update on the desktop, so did that. Also downloaded EtreCheck and ran it. As I suspected, the problem did seem to be resolved by opening in Safe Mode, so was probably something in the cache. EtreCheck found no problems other than that my update was not turned on (it now is) and the potential for kernal issues with my Logitech keyboard and Evoluent mouse but no issues at the moment. I can see where this software would be helpful if a problem were more intransigent.

If the computer works fine now - Great

If it starts to act up again

Do post the Etrecheck Report and at least one or more Contributors will probably pick up your question again

Just a parting comment on Etrecheck and its history

At one time there was an  Etrecheck Application available on the Apple Apps Store.

Due to certain constrains place upon the Developer by APPLE, the developer chose to remove it from the Store and make is available Directly from them.

This specific application is well known,  on these Forums,  as a Go To for trouble shooting and avoiding all the question / answer and question / answer to finally get the issue pinned down.

It is also known and reported by Reliable Sources that,  sometimes APPLE SUPPORT has invoked using this same Developer Distributed Version of Etrecheck application to trouble shot computer issues 

So end the " Sermon on Etrecheck " .

You shut your computer down because of a problem - finding the problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.