Files not visible on external disk APFS

Hi!

I’ve run into an issue, and although I’m pretty sure it’s a disk issue not a computer issue I can’t find a better fitting forum.

I’ve been backing up files on a 40TB LaCie 2big RAID, and after unmounting the disk and mounting it again an hour later all the files on the disk are not visible. Disk utility shows that the space is still being used.

Here are the things I tried so far:

• using different cables, ports, power sources, plugging to a different Mac (different version)
  • command+shift+. for hidden files
  • leaving the disk connected for a few hours (found some folks online that said it might help)
  • updating the raid
  • first aid does not show any error

I can copy new files and create new folders, but when I try to create a folder named the same as the folder that is already there (but not visible) I get this error.

The Mac I’m on is a MacBook Pro, M2 Max, Sonoma 14.1.1.

The disk is an APFS type.

Thanks in advance for any help and ideas!

MacBook Pro (M2 Max, 2023)

Posted on May 9, 2024 1:25 AM

1 reply

May 9, 2024 4:22 AM in response to drpyko_

The fact that Disk Utility shows the space being used but you can't see the files suggests a logical issue with the APFS file system on your LaCie drive, not necessarily a physical hardware problem. Here are some additional troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Restart Finder:

• Open Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
  • Type killall Finder and press Enter. This will relaunch Finder and might refresh the view of your external drive.

2. Check Disk Utility for Repair Options:

• While the first aid didn't reveal errors, try running "Repair Disk" in Disk Utility. Select your LaCie drive and click the "Repair Disk" button. This might fix minor inconsistencies in the file system.

3. Check for Mounted Volumes:

• Sometimes, APFS volumes can mount hidden. Open Disk Utility, and under the "View" menu, select "Show All Devices." Look for any hidden volumes associated with your LaCie drive.

4. Terminal Commands (For Advanced Users):

• Use the diskutil list command in Terminal to get a detailed listing of your disks and volumes. Look for anything unusual related to your LaCie drive. (Caution: Be careful when using Terminal commands as they can modify your system).

Data Recovery as a Last Resort:

If none of the above work, you might need to consider data recovery software. However, this should be a last resort as it can be risky and potentially overwrite existing data. It's important to stop using the drive to prevent further data loss before attempting recovery.

Additional Tips:

• Since you mentioned it's a LaCie 2big RAID, consult the LaCie support website or manuals for any specific troubleshooting steps related to their RAID configuration.
  • Consider backing up your data to a separate drive in the future to avoid situations like this.

Remember, these are troubleshooting steps, and data recovery might be necessary. If you're uncomfortable with these steps or unsure about data recovery software, consult a data recovery professional.

Files not visible on external disk APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.