iMac as display monitor to macBook

I have an iMac Late 2015 macOS Monterey version 12.7.4 with thunderbolt 2 and I want it to serve as a display monitor for my macBook Air M3 2024 macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 with thunderbolt 4. I also have a corsair tbt100 docking station plugged to the macBook and a thunderbolt 2 cable (that does not connect to the docking station). Can I display the macBook on the monitor of the iMac ? if possible how ?

Thanks in advance

Posted on May 9, 2024 5:06 AM

4 replies

May 9, 2024 5:37 AM in response to noamm050

noamm050 wrote:

I have an iMac Late 2015 macOS Monterey version 12.7.4 with thunderbolt 2 and I want it to serve as a display monitor for my macBook Air M3 2024 macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 with thunderbolt 4. I also have a corsair tbt100 docking station plugged to the macBook and a thunderbolt 2 cable (that does not connect to the docking station). Can I display the macBook on the monitor of the iMac ? if possible how ?

You can't do it with Target Display Mode. Your Late 2015 iMac doesn't support it. On top of that, your M3 MacBook Air can't use ANY iMac as a Target Display.

There may be third-party workarounds such as Luna Display (Astropad) or Duet Display, but they're not the same as a Target Display connection or a hardware-supported connection to a real monitor.

iMac as display monitor to macBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.