Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Watching UK TV in Australia

I have a 7th generation iPad with the latest update. I am trying to watch UK Tv from Australia. I have VPN that allows me to access all British stations. I can access the network eg BBC Iplayer quite easily, pull up my favourites list choose the programme, even choose the episode I want to watch . The problem is it stalls there. I get a message: “This content is not currently available on this device. Please try again later.” A similar issue occurs with ITV X.

Can anyone advise how, if possible, to overcome this problem.

Thanks.

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on May 9, 2024 6:05 AM

5 replies

May 9, 2024 6:51 AM in response to bsim52

Many streaming services are intentionally geo-restricted by country or region - often due to copyright or broadcasting licence restrictions. By example, BBC's content funded by the UK Licence fee is legally only available within the UK.

While some restrictions can be circumvented using some VPN or Proxy service, others may fail. Geo-restricted streaming platforms actively attempt to detect and block known VPN and Proxy IP Addresses. Any errors that you see may be misleading - will not necessarily indicate the true cause of failure.

May 11, 2024 2:01 AM in response to bsim52

While sympathetic to your predicament, be mindful of the Apple Support Community Terms of Use (the link appears at the bottom of every ASC page):

Apple Support Communities Use Agreement - Apple Community

Specifically, the section B. Submissions, 8 ii explicitly states...

Do not submit software or descriptions of processes that break or otherwise ‘work around’ digital rights management software or hardware. This includes conversations about ‘ripping’ DVDs or working around digital rights management software used on Apple Music or other media sources.

As such, I and others are unable to provide more explicit guidance. Sorry.

May 9, 2024 6:39 PM in response to LotusPilot

I am well aware of the situation regarding geo-restricting. I have however been watching BBC, ITV etc for a number of years on my Tv. I simply want to watch them on my iPad as well.

I really just want to know what I have to do to allow the programmes to go. As. I mentioned in my previous post I have no problems getting the desired programme up, it’s that final step that is causing the problem.

May 10, 2024 12:25 AM in response to bsim52

Your description suggests that the Broadcaster's App has detected that you are outside the geo-restriction boundary - or that a VPN Provider's IP Address has been detected. While the App itself will run, access to the geo-restricted content is being denied.

With what you are attempting to achieve, past performance is not a reliable indicator of continued access to geo-restricted content. It's a cat-and-mouse game between the Broadcasters and the VPN/Proxy Providers.

Try using a different VPN Provider.

Watching UK TV in Australia

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.