M2 MacbookPro 14 boot loop after keyboard replacement

I spilled my drink on my keyboard couple days ago, my mac was working fine but keys got sticky. Thought it would be best if I fix it myself since the warranty enden couple months ago. It was an easy task for me since I worked in an electronics repair shop for couple years

After the repair it didn’t show any signs of life. I plugged it into charger and I got the opening sound. I thought there was no display, but Apple logo was there. It was barely noticeable, it doesn’t seem to be visible in dark either.

So now it’s in boot loop and im not sure what I should do. I tried recovery mode it doesn’t work. Checked all the connections throughly. I wonder if the part I bought is faulty and cause this problem, or it was not compatible. Listing said for M1, but I couldn’t find any information about why it would not work on an M2 Mac.

Before you say it, I don’t want to take it to Apple. Also even if I want, I cannot afford it.

MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on May 9, 2024 7:20 AM

2 replies

May 9, 2024 7:56 AM in response to alpcamalan

Attach an external keyboard via USB. That's the only cheaper option.

Never alllow food or drink near computers. My College was very strict about that, and would revoke computer lab privileges in the 1990s for anyone who did. You may be able to put in a claim on homeowner/renters insurance.

AppleCare+ does have an limited insurance policy if it was purchased before the accident. If you don't have AppleCare+ and an external keyboard does not work for you, unfortunately you are SOL.

You might be able to find an authorized service tech who works independently in your area, who might be cheaper, but they would not be able to purchase Apple parts directly, and the parts they buy may not last as long or have any warranty. The only advantage is, you would know they have better knowledge of what may be wrong, or what may need to be replaced.

M2 MacbookPro 14 boot loop after keyboard replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.