FCPX Spinning wheel of death, I am stumped

FCPX (10.7.1) is lagging brutally (spinning wheel of death) and freezing almost every time I click on anything. I haven't changed anything recently, have loads of space on both internal and external hard drive, and even tried transcoding all of my footage to ProRes proxies for anything that wasn't already in ProRes. That seemed like it helped a tiny bit, but I'm still getting the rainbow wheel every 30s or so, which usually spins for about 10-20s and then usually FCPX starts responding again but also sometimes freezes up completely and I have to do a force quit.

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 9, 2024 10:14 AM

14 replies

May 9, 2024 8:34 PM in response to BenjoProductions

Holy crap, the difference is night and day!

I'm really glad that your iMac started working smoothly. I think anyone would be confused if asked to install EtreCheck, which they have never heard of. However, I think you got a good result because you believed in us respondents and decided to take courage and move forward.

Your iMac was suffering from Chrome, so Spinning wheel must have been a sad cry. There is a big difference between believing bad rumors and believing the advice of respondents. Unfortunately, there are times when EtreCheck remains suspicious and cannot resolve the issue.

⚫︎A brief internet search would lead me to believe that EtreCheck is not safe enough to consider using

May 9, 2024 10:21 AM in response to BenjoProductions

What mac model?

What OS version?

What drive contains the media, how is it connected, how much space? I know you said you had a lot, but just in case...

And, to get a fuller picture and possibly detect software causes: Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

May 9, 2024 12:19 PM in response to BenjoProductions

Etrecheck was written by a long-time member to help speed up the diagnostics process. If you look through this forum you'll see many etrecheck reports posted. They are anonymized reports of the system including kernel extensions, daemons, installed software and other details. Rather than having many back and forths asking and answering questions about configuration and settings, it's all in one report. Have a look at some that have been posted.

May 9, 2024 1:57 PM in response to BenjoProductions

[Loaded] com.google.GoogleUpdater.wake.plist (Google LLC - installed 2024-05-08)
    Command: ~/Library/Application Support/Google/GoogleUpdater/Current/GoogleUpdater.app/Contents/MacOS/GoogleUpdater --wake-all --enable-logging --vmodule=*/components/update_client/*=2,*/chrome/updater/*=2

2024-05-08 16:24:52 VTDecoderXPCService High CPU Use

These could point to Google's background processes that overwhelm the MacOS video subsystem. Completely remove Chrome and all the associated cruft that they install. Follow the instructions at https://chromeisbad.com Note that simply dragging Chrome.app to the trash is not enough.

Once you've done that, drag FCP to the Trash but don't empty it. Then download a fresh copy from the AppStore or a known good backup.

How many drives do you have connected? Some appear to be full.

FCPX Spinning wheel of death, I am stumped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.