I got a MacOS Security Center pop up while browsing the web

My screen suddenly shows a full screen black, blue flashing with alert sounds and security message!

I made the misunderstanding to call the phone number, they call me back and after two minutes I realized the mistake…

what can I do now to stay secure?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.6

Posted on May 9, 2024 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2024 10:43 AM

If all you did was make a phone call, you're fine. If, on the other hand, you installed software at their request or gave them sensitive information such as login credentials, you may be at risk. If you let them install software, reformat your Mac. If you gave them logins, change your passwords.

Again, if all you did was talk to them on the phone, there is nothing they can do.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2024 10:43 AM in response to Gravef

If all you did was make a phone call, you're fine. If, on the other hand, you installed software at their request or gave them sensitive information such as login credentials, you may be at risk. If you let them install software, reformat your Mac. If you gave them logins, change your passwords.

Again, if all you did was talk to them on the phone, there is nothing they can do.

May 9, 2024 11:04 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

As long as you did not convey sensitive information such as credit card numbers, social security numbers, or bank account numbers you should be fine. As mentioned software that you download from such locations, may appear in the download folder, and should be deleted immediately and not ever run.

The first step when you get such a screen is hit this key sequence

command-option-escape

This brings up the force quit screen.

From the force quit screen pick Safari, Chrome, Firefox or any other web browser you have open and quit them with the Force Quit button.

Once that is done, hold the shift key while double clicking the same web browser.

When enquired do not load the last page running, load a blank or home page.

Check your browser extensions to make sure no new extensions were loaded. Clean your browser cache, and cookies, without logging out sites, unless you have kept a separate secure offline inventory of your password hints. If you have created a separate offline inventory, delete all cookies and cache and history.

Be mindful of emails with awkward looking email addresses.

Be mindful the website structure of any site is

http(s)://computer.domain.suffix where the s appears only on secure websites without parenthesis.

user@domain.suffix is typical structure of email.

The domain is typically the company name. Any - hyphens in the name that are not normally the company name, should indicate a possible phishing domain in an email or website.

suffixes of .top, and .site, are often phishing domains.

suffix of .us are typically state government sites. .co.uk are companies in the UK.

If uncertain, look for the company on a search engine and verify the site name is the same.

I got a MacOS Security Center pop up while browsing the web

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.