After updating to Sonoma the battery is overheating and discharging quickly.

I recently updated to Sonoma. Since then I noticed the battery discharged quickly and I used to be able to get 7 days +/- between charges. The machine was built in 2022 and I'm no where near the 1000 charge cycles. I've also noticed the battery/machine is warm to the touch. I'm not overly savvy with computers and would like some specific directions and steps to trouble shoot. Or should I go to the Apple Store for some Genius Shop assistance?

MacBook Pro (M2, 2022)

Posted on May 9, 2024 12:20 PM

1 reply

May 10, 2024 11:37 AM in response to dannyboy0496

dannyboy0496 wrote:

I recently updated to Sonoma. Since then I noticed the battery discharged quickly and I used to be able to get 7 days +/- between charges. The machine was built in 2022 and I'm no where near the 1000 charge cycles. I've also noticed the battery/machine is warm to the touch. I'm not overly savvy with computers and would like some specific directions and steps to trouble shoot. Or should I go to the Apple Store for some Genius Shop assistance?

On an M-series mac you can

A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies && Reboot as normal and test.

The rule of thumb—if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability then run on the battery only—this is how you help optimize your battery charging and extend the working life of your battery by reducing the cycle count.

Get help with your Mac notebook battery

Learn how to optimize the life of the battery in your Mac notebook, fix battery issues, and get service.

If you see Service Recommended on your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

if you still think you have an issue— by all means take it in:

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

verify your software is up to date…

The current stable release of Sonoma including bug fixes, security updates is macOS 14.4.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

After updating to Sonoma the battery is overheating and discharging quickly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.