Why does find duplicates have different results on my ipad vs my mac?

I have about 100,000 photos and videos sync'd to iCloud, originals on my Desktop Mac, optimized copies on my laptop Mac, iPad and iPhone. I cleaned up duplicates on my Mac, there were 100 or so. It now shows no duplicates. On my iPad I see bout 1000 duplicates. I'd prefer to clean up on the Mac, why are the two lists not the same? Can I sync them somehow?

-Drew

Mac Studio (2022)

Posted on May 9, 2024 12:20 PM

6 replies

May 9, 2024 1:35 PM in response to Andrew Lynch

Finding duplicates is hard. Pictures can be similar enough that the algorithm misses that they're different. This is a pair of picture my Mac Photos keeps coming up with

but they're clearly not, an I want to keep them both!

My guess (only a guess) is that the algorithm used by the phone and iPad must be quite different from the one used for the Mac because of the energy required to run them. People use their phones constantly for energy intensive processes, and they are very sensitive to their phone's battery life. The Duplicate finder runs in the background, when you're not using Photos, and, if it were as efficient as the Mac's version, it might suck the life out of the phone much faster. Probably phones and iPads do most of this business at night when they're plugged in, but then, I'm just guessing.

How are the extra duplicates that the iPad found? Are they things you should look at on your Mac?

May 10, 2024 4:39 AM in response to Andrew Lynch

Andrew Lynch wrote:

I was under the impression that would merge multiple sets of duplicated into 1. I want to merge each set individually.
To be a little more clear: If there are two rows which say merge 2 items, and I select the 4 photos in the 2 rows, and merge, I will end up with 1 photo when I want 2.

Only the rows merge. In your example, you would end up with 2 images-- the better of each row. And sometimes there are three images in a row, and you end up with the best of the 3.

Of course, this is the sort of thing you could try, yourself, and see what what happens. Again, deleted pictures go in Recently Deleted, so you'd have nothing to lose. But it's fun to try things...

Why does find duplicates have different results on my ipad vs my mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.