I can't proceed beyond "Activate Mac".

I deleted my MacBookPro from "Find" on my iPhone. Because I was ignorant, I executed it without knowing that deleting meant initializing the MacBookPro.

I would like to install macOS:Ventura again.

I'm stuck because I can't select the menu to proceed on the Recovery Assistant screen.

I would appreciate it if you could ask me if there is any information that I should provide to you. I made a backup a few days ago using TimeMachine on an external SSD.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.6

Posted on May 11, 2024 1:25 AM

19 replies

May 12, 2024 1:26 PM in response to Barney-15E

Is it an Intel Mac or an Apple Silicon Mac?

Now that the restoration is complete, I would like to answer your questions. There is a detailed screenshot before initialization.

⚫︎My MacBook Pro details

Have you released it in Find My?

My PC is the Japanese version, not the English version, so I don't know what "Find My" is. I think this is probably the icon.

In the Japanese version, it is "Search". It's written at the beginning of my question, so please read it again.

What garbage do you have?

I was just remembering the discussion linked to in reply to PRP_53. I don't have detailed information about what kind of garbage it is and what its name is, so I don't know.

Why do you think we do?

Respondents collect information while checking the facts. I also go through the same process as you to answer the questioner. However, I think we should be very careful about people who are in a hurry. It is important to change your priorities to match the other person's pace rather than your own.

May 11, 2024 3:26 AM in response to LocaAlicia

LocaAlicia wrote:

I deleted my MacBookPro from "Find" on my iPhone. Because I was ignorant, I executed it without knowing that deleting meant initializing the MacBookPro.
I would like to install macOS:Ventura again.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/efddce02-85d6-484a-b31e-6f2f26d8431f

I'm stuck because I can't select the menu to proceed on the Recovery Assistant screen.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/540f319a-07d4-4dc3-98a5-9422015855b9

I would appreciate it if you could ask me if there is any information that I should provide to you. I made a backup a few days ago using TimeMachine on an external SSD.

Very Top right. The Wi-Fi icon is grayed out. Very hard to see.

How to remove Activation Lock

May 11, 2024 8:43 PM in response to LocaAlicia

1. Erase with Disk Utility.
  2. APFS format.
  3. An "untitled" disk image was displayed.
  4. The installation of macOS Ventura has started.

I'm in the middle of installing it, but I'm honestly surprised that I was able to overcome the difficulties on my own even though I had no knowledge of initialization!

I'm sure some people are having the same problem, so I'll write down the entire process.

May 12, 2024 12:33 PM in response to PRP_53

If you could post a link where Luis posted those instructions I would be more than happy to look at that and come back with a more definitive answer

Ventura was successfully installed and the recovery was completed. Now that I have time and mental space, I would like to answer some questions that I have been putting off. I finally found the discussion between me and Luis.

⚫︎255177169

Remembering this discussion is why I hesitated to choose TM out of the four options for the recovery process. I later learned that there is no point in choosing TM unless you install macOS. In other words, what I should choose was "Disk Utility".

May 12, 2024 8:08 PM in response to LocaAlicia

LocaAlicia wrote:

Now that the restoration is complete, I would like to answer your questions. There is a detailed screenshot before initialization.
⚫︎My MacBook Pro details

Thats all useless, now. You should have included it in this post or linked to it in the initial post.

My PC is the Japanese version, not the English version, so I don't know what "Find My" is. I think this is probably the icon.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/6ab3667c-7afe-4d96-9ec7-098feb1be6a4
In the Japanese version, it is "Search". It's written at the beginning of my question, so please read it again.

Perhaps you should read it again. You said you used Find to erase your Mac. The only thing that can do that is Find My (US English). You can also lock it from that app. I asked if you had released any lock you may have put on it. You didn’t explain why you erased it. The only reason I can imagine you did that was because you lost it.

What garbage do you have?
I was just remembering the discussion linked to in reply to PRP_53. I don't have detailed information about what kind of garbage it is and what its name is, so I don't know.

Why do you think we do?
Respondents collect information while checking the facts. I also go through the same process as you to answer the questioner. However, I think we should be very careful about people who are in a hurry. It is important to change your priorities to match the other person's pace rather than your own.

Or, you are inconsiderate and want everyone else to bend to your desires.

Everyone here is volunteering their time to help you at whatever pace they can. Demanding that others perform for you at will is a bit presumptuous.

May 11, 2024 7:03 AM in response to PRP_53

I have progressed to this stage. Which one should I choose next?

1. It says to use "Migration Assistant" when selecting a TimeMachine. "Migration Assistant" recognizes that it will restore it perfectly as before.

I'm hesitant because I learned from Luis earlier that it would be better not to do this because it would move all the old garbage files.

2. "Reinstall macOS Ventura" seems to select a disk, but no candidates are displayed.

May 11, 2024 6:05 AM in response to PRP_53

Very Top right. The Wi-Fi icon is grayed out. Very hard to see.

Thank you for your reply. I noticed the gray Wi-Fi icon in the top right from the beginning.

I now understand why no matter what menu icon I click, I can't select it. The cause was that I was pressing the trackpad lightly since it returned to the default settings. I should have pushed harder instead of tapping lightly.

It took me 6 hours to notice that the click method had changed.😅

May 11, 2024 9:09 AM in response to LocaAlicia

LocaAlicia wrote:

Luis is @Luis Sequeira1 who answered in this category.
I use the translation function, so it's difficult to understand unless it's in simple English.

Does that mean that I have no choice but to use the first TM because I can't select a disk for the second "macOS Ventura installation"?

Sorry I am not trying to evading your question

But, without knowing the Specific Instructions from Luis used.

I can not accurately offer addition guidance on the current choices

If you could post a link where Luis posted those instructions

I would be more than happy to look at that and come back with a more definitive answer

May 11, 2024 12:34 PM in response to PRP_53

If you could post a link where Luis posted those instructions

I am in an emergency situation and am in a hurry to recover. I don't have the luxury of looking for threads about past interactions. I've never used Migration Assistant, so I don't know what kind of recovery it actually does.

I can't answer your request for confirmation, so I appreciate all the advice so far.

If possible, I would like Luis to help me directly, so could you please reply?

May 11, 2024 5:44 PM in response to PRP_53

"Restore from Time Machine" is only available if you have a system backup. I use TM for daily backups. However, I don't think "system" is included, is that correct?

If it is not installed, I think the only option is to "reinstall macOS Ventura." But if I can't select a disk candidate, I don't know how to proceed.

I would like to resume editing as soon as possible, but I don't know how to install macOS. It hurts so much I can cry.

May 11, 2024 8:23 PM in response to LocaAlicia

LocaAlicia wrote:

"Restore from Time Machine" is only available if you have a system backup. I use TM for daily backups. However, I don't think "system" is included, is that correct?

If you go to "Restore" in the Recovery Utilities, it will explain that you should reinstall macOS, then Migrate from your backup. That is how "Restore from Time Machine" works.

If it is not installed, I think the only option is to "reinstall macOS Ventura." But if I can't select a disk candidate, I don't know how to proceed.

You will likely need to erase the drive in Disk Utility before you will be able to select it when reinstalling.

1. It says to use "Migration Assistant" when selecting a TimeMachine. "Migration Assistant" recognizes that it will restore it perfectly as before.
I'm hesitant because I learned from Luis earlier that it would be better not to do this because it would move all the old garbage files.

What garbage do you have? Your problem is that you erased it using Find My.

I don't have the luxury of looking for threads about past interactions.

Why do you think we do?

May 11, 2024 9:05 PM in response to Barney-15E

You will likely need to erase the drive in Disk Utility before you will be able to select it when reinstalling.

Barney-15EThank you for your reply and accurate advice. I saw the Barney-15E post later.

Currently being installed. I would like to answer your question in detail, but right now recovery is my top priority, so I will refrain from answering.

Because you want to put all of your time, effort, and concentration into recovery.

I can't proceed beyond "Activate Mac".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.