Unable to change permissions en masse... please help!

I'm attempting to delete old Time Machine backups from my external hard drive. However, when I attempt to delete them, I get the following error message: "The operation can’t be completed because some items had to be skipped. For each item, choose File > Get Info, make sure “Locked” is deselected, and then check the Sharing & Permissions section. When you are sure the items are unlocked and not designated as Read Only or No Access, try again."

There are literally many thousands of folders which I would need manually go through to check permissions. I've drilled down to several dozen folders which show that I have Read & Write Permissions, so I'm not sure which specific files/folders are holding me back.

Under "Get Info", it says that I have "Mixed Permissions", but give me no option to change anything. I'm the only person on my Mac, so I'm not sure why I don't have full permissions across the board.

Also, some are now Locked... would also like to "Unlock All". I click on the Locked checkbox, but it won't "uncheck".

Any insight would be greatly and genuinely appreciated... thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 13, 2024 9:25 PM

9 replies

May 15, 2024 6:47 AM in response to Jeff Yarberry

Jeff Yarberry wrote:

Ugh... sounds like there's no way around being able to delete them. I have them on a Partitioned drive, so--based upon the feedback from everyone here--the best call seems to be for me to move on from these Backups on the partitioned drive, and get a solitary drive for future backups.

So much for my efforts to be frugal...

Thanks!

You can still erase the partition and backup to it. However, it would be better to use a single APFS container with multiple Volumes. You can set a Quota for Time Machine to only use a certain amount of the available storage.

May 15, 2024 8:36 AM in response to Jeff Yarberry

While you don’t indicate how your partitions are organized and used…

Having met a semi-related configuration much too often, I’d suggest not placing any TM archives in partitions on the same physical device as any source partitions.

That for two reasons: TM already provides that feature when the external storage is unavailable and pools the storage when doing so, and that placement risks one-egg-one-basket failures or partition corruptions of that storage.

Partition corruptions and hardware failures (or dunks or drops or thefts) in these configurations can unfortunately clobber ~everything; source and backup.

May 13, 2024 9:48 PM in response to Jeff Yarberry

> I'm attempting to delete old Time Machine backups

I'd just create a new Time Machine backup on a freshly formatted disk. Or, if I still want to hold on to some old backups, get a new backup disk and archive that old disk for a while.

I'd additionally create another backup set using Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper, just in case.

https://tidbits.com/2023/10/13/international-verify-your-backups-day/

May 14, 2024 8:22 AM in response to Jeff Yarberry

If they are merely "locked" you can hold down the option key when emptying the trash.

You will likely be unable to empty the trash.

However, you should not delete Time Machine backups. You should erase the disk after having removed the drive from the backup set and start over. Since trash is per-disk, when you erase the drive, those items will no longer exist in the Trash.

May 14, 2024 8:16 PM in response to Jeff Yarberry

Seems strange that I can't change the permissions for a parent folder so that it affects all files within.

You can, but that's not the root cause of your problem.

My takeaway so far is that you can't delete Time Machine backups... no matter how old they are. Sad... :-(

That would be correct. It is no longer possible to delete any Time Machine backup.

Unable to change permissions en masse... please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.