Connecting dual monitors to M2 Mac Studio

Hello everyone

sorry I am new to understanding a lot of this technology so I don’t know how everything works. I know the M2 Mac Studio has an hdmi connection for a monitor and multiple thunderbolt ports on the back. I can connect one monitor with hdmi, but what are some options for adding a second monitor? If I get a

monitor with a usbc port, would all I have to do is connect it with a thunderbolt cable? Or another monitor with an hdmi port and an hdmi to usbc adaptor? Would I be able to play videos with sound off of it? I have a main monitor, but I’m looking for the least expensive way to add a small second monitor, anywhere from 14-20 inch

thanks!

Posted on May 14, 2024 4:37 PM

9 replies

May 14, 2024 7:33 PM in response to N_vegas

N_vegas wrote:

I have an audio interface (for music production) that is hooked up to two Yamaha speakers. If this interface is connected to my Mac Studio, I could get sound to play from both monitors off it?

How does this audio interface connect to a computer? If it connects via Firewire (which was a popular choice for professional audio gear), you may run into the problems that

• Apple has discontinued their only FireWire adapter
  • Apple has removed Core Audio support for "plug-and-play" FireWire audio devices

If the interface is compatible with the Mac Studio, I believe the Mac Studio will let you select one audio output at a time. (With the option to play sound effects through a different one.)

On my Mac Studio, I get a choice of

• DELL U2723QE (DisplayPort)
  • iMic USB audio system (USB)
  • External Headphones (Headphone port)
  • Mac Studio Speakers (Built-in)
  • Apple TV (AirPlay)

So if both of your monitors had speakers or audio output jacks, and you also had this Yamaha interface, I think you would see a choice like

• Monitor1 (DisplayPort)
  • Monitor2 (HDMI)
  • Yamaha audio interface (USB)
  • External Headphones (Headphone port)
  • Mac Studio Speakers (Built-in)

May 14, 2024 5:52 PM in response to N_vegas

N_vegas wrote:

Would I be able to play videos with sound off of it?

Depends on your monitor. Some have built-in speakers, some don't.

My monitor does not have built-in speakers, so I'm using a USB sound card and a pair of powered speakers that I transferred from my old Mac. The speakers have a physical volume control knob, which I leave set at a level that lets me set volume using keyboard volume controls.

In Settings > Sound, I see several choices: Mac Studio Speakers, External Headphones, the USB sound card, and the monitor. Sometimes also an Apple TV box. The USB sound card and headphones stay plugged in at all times, and I use the Control Center "menu" in the menu bar to switch between them.

May 14, 2024 6:39 PM in response to N_vegas

N_vegas wrote:

Amazing thank you so much for the detailed answer! This is very helpful. You correctly identified my computer as well! So since the back of my Mac Studio has a Thunderbolt Display usb port, all I would have to do is find a
monitor that has a usb display port as well and all I would need is a thunderbolt cable to connect them?

USB-C (DisplayPort) input and downstream hub ports are desirable features for monitors which you plan to use with - or might use – with a laptop computer. A single USB-C to USB-C cable running between such a monitor and a laptop can dock and charge the computer – very convenient.

There is no harm in using a monitor with those features with a desktop computer, but those features may add to the monitor's price. If you're trying to hold costs down, you could look for a monitor with just DisplayPort and HDMI inputs. A monitor with both of those inputs should be broadly compatible with many computers, including your Mac Studio (with the aid of an inexpensive USB-C to {DisplayPort or HDMI} adapter cable).

If you are using a USB-C to USB-C cable, it doesn't need to be a Thunderbolt one … just one rated to be able to carry a DisplayPort signal (look for "up to 4K @ 60 Hz"). Thunderbolt cables are built to a very high standard to support things like 5K and 6K monitors, and the higher-quality construction may be reflected in their price tags.

I'm just using the USB-C to USB-C cable that came with my monitor. So far, so good.

May 14, 2024 5:30 PM in response to N_vegas

N_vegas wrote:

Hello everyone

sorry I am new to understanding a lot of this technology so I don’t know how everything works. I know the M2 Mac Studio has an hdmi connection for a monitor and multiple thunderbolt ports on the back. I can connect one monitor with hdmi, but what are some options for adding a second monitor? If I get a
monitor with a usbc port, would all I have to do is connect it with a thunderbolt cable? Or another monitor with an hdmi port and an hdmi to usbc adaptor? Would I be able to play videos with sound off of it? I have a main monitor, but I’m looking for the least expensive way to add a small second monitor, anywhere from 14-20 inch

thanks!

It seems most likely that you have a M2 Max Mac Studio.

It has a HDMI port, four multi-purpose rear-panel USB-C (USB, USB4, DisplayPort, Thunderbolt) ports, and two front-panel USB-C (USB only) ports. While the front-panel and rear-panel USB-C ports have an identical shape, only the rear-panel ones carry video. That Mac supports from three to five external monitors (depending on how bleeding-edge you want to get with the HDMI one).

There are many ways to connect monitors to the rear-panel USB-C ports. And many monitors provide multiple video input ports. The most likely types of connections for a small, inexpensive, second monitor would be:

• USB-C (DisplayPort) to DisplayPort
  • USB-C (DisplayPort) to Mini DisplayPort
  • USB-C (DisplayPort) to HDMI
  • USB-C (DisplayPort, [USB]) to USB-C (DisplayPort, [USB]) (using a cable rated for carrying video). A USB-C connection can carry both DisplayPort video and USB-C data, making it possible to hook up downstream hub ports (USB ports, Ethernet ports, etc.) on a monitor without having to run separate video and USB cables.

If you look on Amazon, you will find more adapters, and one-piece adapter cables, than you can shake a stick at.

Connecting dual monitors to M2 Mac Studio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.