How to turn off Barrel Roll on Apple Pencil Pro?

Does anyone know how to turn the new barrel roll feature off? It looks gross on my notes and I don't like it. Apple support has no idea, it seemed like they weren't even aware that the new product was being released.

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

iPad Pro (6th generation)

Posted on May 14, 2024 9:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2024 2:11 PM

Mine can’t do the barrel roll neither. I already tried to pair it again but no Luck. I’m on the base 13” iPad Air. I’m now somewhat worried that the barrel roll is an iPad Pro feature. But as far as I can see here are some pro users with the same issue.

btw I think I accidentally skipped the barrel roll intro when I originally connected the pencil to my iPad. Maybe then the feature gets disabled…

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2024 2:11 PM in response to c-street

Mine can’t do the barrel roll neither. I already tried to pair it again but no Luck. I’m on the base 13” iPad Air. I’m now somewhat worried that the barrel roll is an iPad Pro feature. But as far as I can see here are some pro users with the same issue.

btw I think I accidentally skipped the barrel roll intro when I originally connected the pencil to my iPad. Maybe then the feature gets disabled…

May 19, 2024 4:44 AM in response to AVIRA_TC

For me on an iPad Air 11” it also doesn’t work. I even got a replacement Pencil Pro from apple, but still no luck. It also seems the support is not very well informed about how the new Apple Pencil pro works.

Did anybody get it to work on an iPad Air or do they maybe somehow restrict that to iPad Pro only?

May 28, 2024 6:46 PM in response to Mity85

Nope still no option unfortunately. Apple Support have the engineering team looking at the case as they’ve been able to replicate the issue themselves and they suspect the bug was missed during testing. It’s almost unusable in its current state using the ballpoint pen tip in notes as the barrel roll changes direction constantly when writing without rotating it and as well every time you switch between tools so there’s no way to maintain a comfortable grip of the pencil in your fingers. Will let you know when I have an update. I advised them that I’ll need to return the device and go back to the prior gen iPad Pro if it doesn’t change.

How to turn off Barrel Roll on Apple Pencil Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.