Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

iOS 17.5 Battery Drain and Heating Issues

Previously I was on 17.4.1 iOS with my new iPhone. I was pretty fine and satisfied with the full day battery life of the phone. Recently I updated phone to 17.5 now I am regretting it. The phone is not able to provide me full day battery. I have to charge twice in day which was previously not. Phone is heating more than previous. Idle state discharge of the battery is increased

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15 Plus, iOS 17

Posted on May 15, 2024 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2024 5:19 AM

I’ve followed your advice and completed all the steps. No results! In general, the latest version of iOS drains battery about 20 percent faster than iOS 17.4.

26 replies

May 16, 2024 9:02 AM in response to Ratnesh_Mali

I’m also going through same issue my iPhone 15 pro max is getting hot battery is rapidly draining ! On iOS 17.5 I’m not a heavy user just surf the web phone calls, text messages and a little bit of YouTube and my battery is getting really warm and draining bad. 17.4 I got 2 to 2.5 days consistently on 17.5 I’m at 20% before bed on same usage as on 17.4. I’ve exit all my apps out done a hard reboot made sure nothing was running in the background but nothing is working.

May 15, 2024 8:32 AM in response to Ratnesh_Mali

I have no problem with battery life on 17.5; you should look into what is using the energy. And it has been less than 24 hours since you were even able to update, so it is really meaningless to say that battery life is down without more time to collect data.

If battery life is down then SOMETHING is using energy that wasn’t; battery life doesn’t just vanish into thin air. Basic things to check:

• Force-restart your phone.
  • If you have VPN installed, delete the VPN profile in Settings/General/VPN & Device Management/VPN. Don't just turn it off; delete the profile. If that fixes the problem you can reinstall it.
  • Go to Settings/Battery and see which apps use the most energy.
  • Wait a couple of days; sometimes after an update iOS will rebuild its database indexes, which can use extra energy. If you leave the phone plugged in overnight (which you should do every night) that will speed up the process.

May 18, 2024 7:48 AM in response to Ratnesh_Mali

My iPhone 15 Pro just went from 50% when I went to bed to dead the next morning after updating to iOS 17.5. I can see in the Settings app how it went down while I wasn’t using it, no apps in the background, all apps have the background update turned off. Before upgrading I would get more than a day of use since my average use is around 1:30 hrs a day. Every update has made my battery worse and worse.

May 22, 2024 10:39 AM in response to Ratnesh_Mali

Another iPhone 15 user here with the same heating and battery drain issue since updating to IOS 17.5 and then IOS 17.5.1

I was hoping 17.5.1. would fix the battery drain and heating issue but it hasn't... Battery brain is 20% to 25% overnight... It was usually no more than 5%... I've had about 3 models of iPhone at this stage (iPhone XR, 13 and currently 15) and I have updated each phone multiple times and this is the first time I've updated and experienced as bad an issue as this... Ironically enough one of the reasons I switched from Android to the iPhone a few years back...

I decided to erase the phone and set it up again from an iCloud backup... A little bit of a pain to do but if it resolves the issues it will be worth it... I will update this post if it improves the battery and heating situation but it will be a couple of days before any difference will be noticeable...

It's disappointing that Apple would release an update as bad as 17.5 and 17.5.1... I'll be waiting for the online feedback on any future IOS updates before upgrading again... Experiences like this diminish trust in Apple's competence...

iOS 17.5 Battery Drain and Heating Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.