FCPX and 1080i + 1080p30 from iPhone - do I have this right?

Today, I have to edit a video of an interview I took of my 8 year, for school. I used 3 cameras for the interview and other activities: OMD E-M5 (1080i), iPhone 13pro (1080p30), and iPhone 7Plus (1080p30). I'm using FCPX instead of iMovie, due to some audio issues I have to address. For the interview portion, I'd like to use B-roll/multi-cam. For the rest of it, I should not need to use any B-roll.

Questions:

• For future flexibility and quality, am I better off using 29.97 or 30 for the frame rate? If using 30, I think I understand I have to use the de-interlace option on each of the 29.97 clips? I think if de-interlaced, it then turns into 59.95 fps - so I'm not sure if I have to make additional adjustments at that point. This content will be displayed over computers/internet.
  • Or, am I better off using handbrake, ffmpeg, or shutter encoder to convert the iPhone footage to 29.97 CFS?

Do I have the below straight?

• All iPhones shoot in VFR, but import to FCPX as 30p
  • The OMD footage imports as 29.97 fps
  • Imported FCPX clips don't have to match the project frame rate, as FCPX can handle multiple frame rates so long as there is no B-roll?
  • Once set the project frame rate is set, it should not be changed.
  • There is no way to force iPhones to use CFR.

Posted on May 15, 2024 10:31 AM

2 replies

May 15, 2024 10:52 AM in response to malus1

Edit in a 30 fps progressive project. The project will take care of the interlacing.

• All iPhones shoot in VFR, but import to FCPX as 30p

Yes

• The OMD footage imports as 29.97 fps

Yes

• Imported FCPX clips don't have to match the project frame rate, as FCPX can handle multiple frame rates so long as there is no B-roll?

Yes

• Once set the project frame rate is set, it should not be changed.

It cannot be changed while there's media in it.

• There is no way to force iPhones to use CFR.

No. Please use feedback to make a feature request. Maybe the 1Phone 18. It's been way too long and has caused way too many problems. Apple pushes the use of iPhone for professional production, but doesn't use professional

standards.

FCPX and 1080i + 1080p30 from iPhone - do I have this right?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.