how to modify project without affecting original?

Hi folks!

I'm making a music video. I did one that's 10m long, but I now want another version that's 5m long. The FCP library is already 53GB, so I really don't want to duplicate the whole thing. And I think FCP is supposed to be smart about not duplicating media that it doesn't have to.

So I thought the right way would be to Duplicate the Project. I did that, and the library size stayed basically the same size. Good. But I tried adding a new Title on Project2, and it is showing up on the original Project; it seems the two are linked together. So I'm afraid to touch anything, lest my original Project get damaged.

I understand the concept of inheritance. But Titles should not be modifying the underlying Clips, and so I'm surprised it's propagating over to the other Project. The kinds of changes I expect to be able to make in the new Project, without affecting the other, are:

• changes to titles
  • changes to transitions
  • deleting clips from project timeline
  • adding clips to project timeline
  • doing slip/roll/etc edits to existing clips on project timeline
  • modifying audio/eq settings
  • changing video crop settings

Basically, I want everything on the new project to be independent, except for the underlying media. That should be simple, but I don't know how to do it.

I did look online and found people asking similar things, but they are from 12-16 years ago.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!

Dave

Posted on May 15, 2024 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2024 12:28 PM

It's also visually easier to treat the snapshot as a backup (and not alter it) because it's named with a date and timestamp. I usually edit the Smart Collection named Projects to hide projects that include the text "snapshot." Then I duplicate it, rename it Projects snapshots, and edit it to only show projects that include the text "snapshots." That way the browser can be de-cluttered when viewing the list of projects.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2024 12:28 PM in response to Dave Kitabjian

It's also visually easier to treat the snapshot as a backup (and not alter it) because it's named with a date and timestamp. I usually edit the Smart Collection named Projects to hide projects that include the text "snapshot." Then I duplicate it, rename it Projects snapshots, and edit it to only show projects that include the text "snapshots." That way the browser can be de-cluttered when viewing the list of projects.

May 17, 2024 1:53 AM in response to Dave Kitabjian

The edited "clips" you have in the timeline are not really clips. They are just referencing the originals.

They are instructions saying how you would like that clip to look when it is exported. So if you made a clip in the timeline look red the original media clip would be unaffected but the exported version of it would be red.

As the project is simply a set of instructions with no media it will only be a few megabytes in size.

This shows the project files for a 22 minute film called "Keyon"

As you can see, I made a duplicate of it and each one is only 1.1 MB

The media which remains untouched is 8.35 GB

May 17, 2024 6:00 AM in response to Dave Kitabjian

I did one that's 10m long, but I now want another version that's 5m long. I really don't want to duplicate the whole thing.

I would do it like this.

1. Create a new event. →Change the event name to “Test short”.

2. Duplicate the project. →Change the duplicate project name to “Test short”. →Move to a new event. (Manage them separately to avoid opening the original project by mistake.)

3. Start re-editing the project “Test short”. →If you are unsure about the best editing method or want to test it. →Create a snapshot that does not affect the project "Test short" and test to your heart's content.

4. Copy only the good parts of the test results. →Paste it into the project “Test short”. → Delete the snapshot after pasting. (To prevent malfunction)

・Media will not be duplicated. The only increase in capacity is for the new library.👍

・You can create and test snapshots only when necessary, without affecting other projects.👍

May 15, 2024 1:58 PM in response to Dave Kitabjian

As Tom said, you can make a snapshot to ensure that the two versions are completely separate; but what you describe is not normal, anyway. What I believe is happening is that you made the duplicate but then continued editing the original. That is a common mistake. Look at the name above the timeline to make sure you are editing the desired project. Just making a duplicate does not open it in the timeline; the same project remains there. Double click the duplicate to open it.

May 16, 2024 5:17 PM in response to Dave Kitabjian

Making a snapshot does not duplicate any media. There is only one set of media; only the clips are duplicated to create a new set of pointers to the same media. It makes the database fractionally larger.

The snapshot is the project that frozen in time. It should be considered a locked version. Any multicam or compound changes will not propagate through to the same clips in a snapshot.

May 17, 2024 1:05 AM in response to Dave Kitabjian

"The snapshot is the project that frozen in time. It should be considered a locked version."

It's still not clear to me why the snapshot needs to be the frozen one. Isn't it just a copy of the original? And if so, then why can't the original stay frozen and the "snapshot" be my new working copy? I'm not trying to be pedantic; I'm mainly trying to understand if there is literally some difference between the two that I should know about.

That is just the meaning of the word snapshot - like a "photo" of your project at a specific moment in time.

I suppose you could leave the original, and start editing on the snapshot.

It should work as well, but it seems much more logical to do it the way Tom described.

May 17, 2024 3:44 AM in response to Dave Kitabjian

In most cases it will likely make no difference. The only times is fires I think odd of you have clip containers, compounds, multicams, maybe even sync clips. If you work on the snapshot and change a compound or multicam container the original will get changed as well. If you make these changes in the original the snapshot will be unaffected. That’s the way it’s supposed to work. That’s why one is called a snapshot with a time stamp.

May 17, 2024 12:12 PM in response to Dave Kitabjian

I made a few tests, and after creating a snapshot, I was able to do changes on either the original project or the snapshot, and none of the changes affected the other project. So it does appear that the two are completely separate (which I assumed was the case, too). Still, I would follow Tom's advice to treat a snapshot as er... a snapshot, even though it seems to work either way.

May 18, 2024 1:44 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian R. Brown wrote:

I've asked this before but forgotten the answer . . . what's the difference between creating a snapshot or duplicating a project?

I always duplicate.

If you use compound or multicam clips, a snapshot ensures that they are completely separate.

If you duplicate, they share these.

So if your duplicate includes a compound clip and you make changes to the compound, your original will change too.

May 15, 2024 1:54 PM in response to Dave Kitabjian

If you are using compound clips, changes made to one will affect all instances of that compound clip. You can break that relationship in the new, duplicated project by selecting the compound clip and choosing Clip > Reference New Parent Clip. Depending on how you've built things, another way might be to select the compound in the new, duplicated project and choose Clip > Break Apart Clip Items to essentially un-compound it.

Create compound clips in Final Cut Pro for Mac - Apple Support

May 15, 2024 2:04 PM in response to terryb

Terry and Tom...

First of all, thanks for the replies!

I did not create Multicam clips. I just read up on Compound Clips. They sound powerful and highly-suspect. To be clear, all I did was drag clips from the browser onto my timeline. Some clips I dragged more than once. If that made them "compound", then I certainly didn't do it intentionally. But anyway, I don't see the "compound" icon that the manual suggests would be visible.

Is it possible they are Compound Clips and I don't know it?

May 15, 2024 2:09 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

"Double click the duplicate to open it."

Oh geez. Sigh, call me stupid. I did click on the other project, and observes the highly change and the viewer change contents as well as the inspector. Since the projects were duplicates, I had no reason to expect the timeline to show changes.

But I didn't DOUBLE click the project in the browser. Now I see that adding a new title only shows on the one project where I made that change.

So sorry, everyone. But yea, that UI really breaks the rules.

May 16, 2024 5:07 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

"you can make a snapshot to ensure that the two versions are completely separate"

Thanks for this. Read up on it a bit. It does sound like it would duplicate some or all media, making my 50GB project a lot bigger. So I'll keep this in mind if I use Compound or Multicam clips, but this one doesn't have those.

"leave the snapshot duplicate untouched and make changes to the original"

Tom, I'm curious why, after duplicating, it matters which copy you modify vs. leave untouched?

May 16, 2024 8:29 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

"only the clips are duplicated to create a new set of pointers to the same media"

Aha, interesting. I didn't realize there was a level of indirection between Clips and Media; I thought they were the same entity. This helps.

"The snapshot is the project that frozen in time. It should be considered a locked version."

It's still not clear to me why the snapshot needs to be the frozen one. Isn't it just a copy of the original? And if so, then why can't the original stay frozen and the "snapshot" be my new working copy? I'm not trying to be pedantic; I'm mainly trying to understand if there is literally some difference between the two that I should know about.

how to modify project without affecting original?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.