“tracking” greyed out in settings

I use the tracking feature on my phone to earn points in games. I have been using this feature for a while now and all of the sudden, as of a few hours ago, it stopped working.

I went to check how many points I had and the app told me to turn tracking on in my settings. I went to the tracking feature and everything is greyed out.

It almost looks as if I’m not of age to use the feature..but I’m 34 and I have been using it for weeks, it just randomly stopped.

What I’ve tried so far:

Changing my birthday

Signing out of my Apple ID and signing back in again

Updating my phone to 17.5 (it was 17.1 before that)

Power cycling my phone

I don’t know what else to try. Does anyone have any advice?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on May 16, 2024 2:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2024 2:07 PM

I have the same problem. Make sure you are “upvoting this discussion to get Apple support to realize this is affecting everyone and not individuals. If we are calling in individually it will take longer for them to realize there is a bigger problem than just one person. Also I use tracking for the Fetch app to earn points and I just sent them an email to say heads up because they’re going to start getting complaints too and as a company they will probably get a faster response than individuals. I just told them it’s due to the iOS update.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2024 2:07 PM in response to Spaceplace

I have the same problem. Make sure you are “upvoting this discussion to get Apple support to realize this is affecting everyone and not individuals. If we are calling in individually it will take longer for them to realize there is a bigger problem than just one person. Also I use tracking for the Fetch app to earn points and I just sent them an email to say heads up because they’re going to start getting complaints too and as a company they will probably get a faster response than individuals. I just told them it’s due to the iOS update.

May 16, 2024 11:16 AM in response to Spaceplace

I have also spoken to tier two support who couldn’t understand why it was greyed out - “that shouldn’t happen”. He is going to ring me back on Monday after passing the issue to their IT technicians. Obviously unaware that this is happening to alot of people. Just logged out of Apple Store as you suggested and that has worked as a temporary fix.

May 16, 2024 1:35 PM in response to Spaceplace

The same thing happened to me on 5/16/24, over night. Was on the phone for hours with apple, three different techs, still no resolve. The first tech got it usable, but it went right back to being grayed out. Second tech, nothing, third tech advised I contact the app I was using. Really??? I did but have not gotten a response as yet. I am not a student or a business, and my birthday is correct in bothe the app and on my phone settings. I am beyond frustrated.

May 16, 2024 5:23 PM in response to Spaceplace

I just got off phone with the fourth apple support person today. Fourth person finally told me that it’s a known problem and currently under investigation. No timeline for resolution cuz they're still clueless (or at least the senior advisors haven't been told yet). She suggested that we check for system updates because it will likely be fixed via update, either major or minor (i.e. 17.5.1)

“tracking” greyed out in settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.