How can I stop apps from flickering on macOS 14.5 Sonoma?

Hey everyone!

On my MacBook Pro M1 running Sonoma, I've been experiencing a brief flickering of applications when I open them from the Dock. Reinstalling the system didn't help. I updated to macOS 14.5 yesterday, but the flickering issue persists. Does anyone know what might be causing this and how to fix it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.5

Posted on May 16, 2024 8:55 AM

13 replies

May 17, 2024 8:52 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you very much for responding to my post.

I have very little third-party software installed. Even if only two applications, Terminal and Telegram, are open, the flickering continues.

I also want to add that not all applications flicker, only some of them. Here's a list of the ones that flicker: Telegram, Terminal, Contacts, and Notes.

At the same time, applications that do not flicker at any refresh rate include: Safari, Messages, Maps, and Mail.

I minimize applications to the Dock using the standard command+m method. The flickering persists in safe mode.

I set the screen refresh rate to 60 Hz, but nothing changed. The flickering continues as before.

An important observation is that minimizing an application to the Dock using the command+m shortcut and then reopening it from the Dock by clicking on it causes the flickering. If I close the applications using the close button (X), reopening them from the Dock by clicking on them does not cause flickering, and they open normally without any issues. However, this is not a viable solution because closing Terminal with the close button resets the session, and Contacts closes completely.

May 18, 2024 1:10 AM in response to RamikK

Baring a Hardware failing issue , which is possible

The only area that we have control over in macOS is the User Account Folder ( home folder )

The Operating System is Sealed and Read Only

Reading from another similar question, the user ( you ) have already tried doing an In-Place Reinstallation of Sonoma.

This may have fixed some minor Software issue as it pertains to your User Account Folder and nothing more

The get a more accurate handle on this Flickering issue

Has the user considered >> Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings

If going this route it is strongly suggested to Not use Setup Assist and Not use Migration Assist

Also, do not install any Third Party Software at all, or at least until the computer has been Tested while using Only the Builtin Applications that come with Sonoma

Specifically, Notes, Contacts, Terminal >. the ones you have specifically mentioned as having the Flickering Issue.

May 16, 2024 3:33 PM in response to RamikK

RamikK wrote:

Hey everyone!

On my MacBook Pro M1 running Sonoma, I've been experiencing a brief flickering of applications when I open them from the Dock. Reinstalling the system didn't help. I updated to macOS 14.5 yesterday, but the flickering issue persists. Does anyone know what might be causing this and how to fix it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Refresh rate?

Verify your settings...

May 17, 2024 4:23 AM in response to RamikK

" Additionally, booting in safe mode presents the same issue. Even with the screen set to a refresh rate of 60 Hertz, the flickering of programs persists. "

If the user has as many applications open and running as were appearing in below image

The only applications not Open and Running are System Setting and Apple Apps Store

Suggest close some or all un-need Applications.

What other System Modifications have been inflicted on this computer

To get a more complete overview of both the Hardware and Software installed and used on this computer

Download the Application Etrecheck  ( External Link ) directly from the Developer.

The Application is Not a " Silver Bullet "  and is  only a tool to examine the Hardware / Software used on this computer 

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer Hardware / Software used on this computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

May 17, 2024 10:22 AM in response to RamikK

Q - Heavy RAM usage - Apps are using a large amount of RAM.

A - This dovetails into an earlier observation regarding Closing all UnNeeded Application instead of running them all the time

A - The application that do flicker - are they accessing the Internet at the time the flickering occurs/

A - Are the VPNs also running too ?

A - Closing some applications actually Close and are removed from RAM Thusly, releasing the RAM for Other purposes like Re-Opening them again

Q -System extensions installed - This computer has system extensions installed. System extensions can be difficult to uninstall.

A - Not here to Debate the rightness or wrongness of running Commercial VPNs of which there are 3

https://gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29

System Extensions:

Q -  [Running] ProtonVPN OpenVPN - version 4.2.2 (ProtonVPN AG - 2024-04-11)

Application: /Applications/ProtonVPN.app - version 4.2.2 (ProtonVPN AG - 2024-04-11)

Q - [Running] ProtonVPN WireGuard - version 4.2.2 (ProtonVPN AG - 2024-04-11)

Application: /Applications/ProtonVPN.app - version 4.2.2 (ProtonVPN AG - 2024-04-11)

App Extensions:

VPNs:

Q - TorVPN Mac - /Applications/Orbot.app

May 17, 2024 1:34 PM in response to PRP_53

ProtonVPN was removed, but it didn't help. I didn't uninstall Orbot because I don't think it would make a difference. Also, when I reinstalled the system, after erasing my MacBook, I opened Terminal first thing, and it also flickered when opened. This issue didn't exist on macOS Ventura, and it wasn't present on some earlier versions of Sonoma either. I believe the flickering started with version 14.4. I've reinstalled the system several times, both through system updates and by completely erasing the laptop.

I tried resetting the Dock settings with the command:

defaults delete com.apple.dock; killall Dock

, but that didn't help either.

May 18, 2024 5:08 AM in response to PRP_53

I erased the content and settings, activated the laptop, and didn't install any third-party apps. I logged into the system, opened Terminal, minimized it to the Dock with command+m, brought it back from the Dock with a cursor click, and it still flickers. I opened Notes, minimized it to the Dock, opened it from the Dock, and it flickers again. What am I doing wrong? Should I not activate after erasing the content and settings, but instead erase the hard drive and then reload and install macOS again?

May 18, 2024 7:36 AM in response to RamikK

My early and now missing original posting went something like this.

Having Tested before posting using Sonoma 14.5 and using the 3 different named application and your method to Command + m to minimize each application

Used the Curser Click to Open each application so visible on the screen

There was No Flickering of any of the 3 applications that I could discern .

And No, there is nothing wrong in using command+m to minimize applications to the Dock

It is my assessment and stand to be corrected by others

It appears this issue could be a Hardware issue or your perception of what Flicker is, is at a hight level than mine

Sorry, but this is the best I can offer

May 21, 2024 6:40 AM in response to RamikK

RamikK wrote:

Hey everyone!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Is this a new machine? If so, return it ASAP.

How can I stop apps from flickering on macOS 14.5 Sonoma?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.